Chapter 22

It seemed like Violet and Justin were always getting in fights. Violet tried to make sense of them, but usually it was Justin pissing her off to the point where she'd yell at him and Justin would yell back and things never ended good after. He planned on taking her for lunch, just to be nice, but he ended up messing things up and he found amusement in it.

“I'm trying not to fight with you because I hate it when we fight,” Violet gritted through her teeth, looking at her reflection in the mirror.

Justin chuckled, “You act like we're together.” And there it was. His heart breaking statement that made Violet want to kill him . . . repeatedly.

“And you act like I care about you,” she grunted. She slammed down her tube of mascara and turned to look at him, arms crossed. She kind of didn't mean that statement. He was asking for it, but she knew if the roles were switched and Justin had said that to her, she'd have her eyeliner painted down her cheeks.

“I know the kind of girl you are, kitten. You're innocent and all that shit. You want romance and love, but news flash, I don't fucking do that and if you think I do, you're even more stupid than I thought.”

No tears, no sadness. Violet felt angry . . . at herself. Because she did know Justin wouldn't let himself feel anything for anyone and she was so confused as to why. “Can we just go?”

“Gladly,” he muttered.

Violet stomped her way out of her house and to Justin's truck. Once she got in she slammed the door extra hard, just to piss off Justin. His truck was his baby and if anything major happened to it, he'd probably murder someone.

“Fucking slam my door like that again and I'll beat your ass, Violet,” he threatened as he adjusted his rearview mirror.

Violet rolled her eyes at his empty threat and leaned her arm against the car door. She noticed they were headed the opposite way of town from where the diner was. Suddenly, she was worried. “Where are we going?” She hissed.

“Relax,” he mumbled. “I have to do some things.”

Some things? “What the hell is that supposed to mean? I thought we were going to lunch!”

“Yell at me again,” he dared her. He didn't like to be told what to do and he definitely did not like to be yelled at.

“If we're not going to the diner, where are we going?”

“Don't you trust me?” He grinned, placing a hand on her upper thigh. He needed to concentrate and wanted her to shut up. Violet sucked in a sharp breath and turned to look out the window.

“No, actually. I don't,” she admitted. Justin pinched her skin and she yelped. He chuckled before rubbing the spot he pinched and intertwined their fingers. Violet silently gasped and looked at their hands. She fought hard to hide the smile on her face and she wanted to jump up and do cartwheels.

“How do you expect me to think you don't do romance when you do little things like this?” She whispered, but Justin heard her. His thumb stopped rubbing her hand as he stayed silent.

Pulling his hand away and placing it back on the steering wheel, he said, “Sometimes rules are worth breaking.” And that was one of the times Violet loved having his presence. Her heart swelled with warmth and she couldn't stop herself from kissing his cheek. His face held a hard and cold expression as it always did, but he quickly grabbed her chin and kissed her before she was able to turn away.

Violet was more than surprised and when he pulled away, she wanted more. “Eyes on the road,” she said giggling, once she caught her breath.

Justin held a smirk on his face before turning up the radio to a Drake song.