20

TWENTY

"You're in a good mood." Turning my head, I saw Milo eyeing me, his brows raised with unduly curiosity.

Standing beside me, he flipped a cocktail shaker in his hands without a hitch, the fluid movement flexing his biceps. Gorgeous, with golden eyes, wayward hair the colour of a worn penny, and generously muscular, I was certain Milo must have had women tripping all over their feet, trying their hand at catching his attention.

He caught me staring. "Enjoying the show?"

I snorted. Grabbing a five spot tip off the bar, I rapped my knuckles in gratitude to the customer in front of me. "Of you icking me out? Not particularly."

"You see that?" Milo asked the cute blonde in his vicinity, her eyes bright on him. "She's trying hard to ignore all this"—he swept a gesturing hand to himself—"raw sexual magnetism to make herself feel better."

I stifled a laugh. Milo was shameless in his flirting but it worked for him. "Raw sexual magnetism? Is that what you're calling it?"

He swatted my ass with a dishrag that usually lounged on his shoulder. "Quit changing the subject. What's going on with you?"

I lifted a shoulder in an innocent shrug. "I don't know what you're talking about."

He crossed his arms. "Bullshit. Last week, you were so miserable I couldn't even get out a word out of you—"

"I wasn't miserable," I tossed back, giving him the side-eye.

"—and today you look like you've smoked a fat joint." Milo finished, as if I hadn't said anything.

I shot him a narrowed look. Maybe I was in a good mood compared to last week, but given the change in events, I was entitled to be—all things considered.

He raked me with a studious glance. "You and Travis get back together?"

I debated the wisdom of reminding Milo that we were never really together to begin with. Although now that I've had time to think about it, maybe it was just me who couldn't see what everyone else saw.

Travis and I belonged together. I believed that now more than I ever did before. I imagined a future in which I wasn't ruled by my primitive instincts. And this time, I was willing to fight for it.

"Okay, so maybe Travis and I are giving it a shot." I confessed. "For real, this time."

His eyes widened. "No shit?"

"No shit."

A stretch of silence followed. And then he said, "Well, if anyone were to hook you, Maddie, it'd definitely be Travis."

I shook my head at his sentimental words, to myself more so. Milo must have had it the wrong way round. If anything, I was surprised I'd landed Travis. He had an array of possibilities and choices, his fair share of women where he wouldn't need to deal with the extra baggage.

But he picked me. And I wanted more than anything to prove that he made the right choice. For my sake, as well as his.

My thoughts went unvoiced, but as if he knew I'd disagree, Milo explained, "You exude an aura that's seemingly unattainable, Maddie. Which is fucking hot, by the way."