19

NINETEEN

A number of reasons for why Travis was getting trounced ran through my mind, from minute to outrageous. It was only the second leg of the tournament, so the premise that the opponent was too formidable a competitor was out of the question. Especially since he was a foot shorter, although clearly stockier, his skills were amateur compared to Travis. All show, no bite.

What else could it be? Exhaustion? Did Benny relapse? Jesus, was Travis drunk?

Scarlett bit her nails in my arm to get my attention, breaking me out of my thoughts. I followed her line of sight, immediately recognising Oliver in the sea of bodies, gesturing wildly toward us.

I hurried my way over to him, not giving a care about being recognised, only about Travis' welfare in that moment.

"What's going on?" I asked Oliver in a breathless rush as we stood nearer to the front.

"Benny seems to think he's throwing the fight."

My head snapped back. "What? Why would he do that?"

Oliver shot me a look. "Hell if I know."

My attention went to the cage; startling when I observed Travis in his corner, stalling between rounds. Sitting on the floor, his head reclined onto the steel behind him, his arms resting on his knees that were drawn. Hank was crouched in front of him, wiping the blood away from the cuts on Travis' face. By the scowl on his face, it was obvious that Hank was not happy.

A moment later, a large hand suddenly wrapped my upper arm with a tight grip. I looked down at it, and then followed it to the person it belonged to.

Benny.

Surprised by his unexpected appearance, I blinked at him. The tight lines around his eyes and mouth that betrayed his age were diminished by the darkened room. The lack of light gave the impression Benny was way younger than his years, looking entirely like Travis in that moment. His features boasted the same silky dark hair and striking green eyes.

Confused as to why he'd grabbed me, I tried to gauge his expression but his face was impassive, not giving anything away. Without a word, he preceded me, dragging me behind him, toward the cage.

Tension tightened my shoulders, stiffened my back. In an instant, my mind caught up with what he wanted me to do—what he hoped I could do.

I tugged my arm, wanting his attention. "Benny, stop. I can't go in there."

No answer.

Starting to panic, I struggled to fight his obstinate grip. "Seriously, Benny. He doesn't even want me here. I don't think it would be wise if he saw me."

Benny immediately stopped in his tracks, turning around to face me. Stumbling to an abrupt halt, I reared back and held my breath, hoping he understood that I'd only make matters worse.

He searched my gaze. "What's going on with you two?"

I was not expecting that. Did Travis not tell his father about us?

I opened my mouth to respond. Benny lifted his hand to stop me, shaking his head. "You know what? Doesn't matter. I don't get relationships these days anyway."