07

SEVEN

Guilt has a funny way of creeping up on you when you least expect it. I stewed over what I said to Travis because I knew he didn't deserve it. As always, it was me. I was the problem.

God, I couldn't even get a no-strings attached hook-up right. So what if he wanted me to stay the night? Why did I make things difficult? I've been so hell-bent on making sure the situation didn't get complicated but I still managed to do that anyhow.

Because I was stubborn as hell, I turned my anger inside. Scarlett demanded I tell her why Travis and I stomped back into the cafeteria, him abandoning our table and me acting like my damn righteous self. Cameron asked me why I was brooding; I had no good explanation for either of them.

On Friday, I didn't see Travis around college. So I wasn't expecting his call when I got home that evening. I managed to field off Scarlett's questions, but since she was relentless, I answered the phone without checking the caller ID, and yelled, "God, Scar, just leave me to wallow in self-pity by myself."

And instead of hearing Scarlett's remark back, I heard Travis. "Maddie?

Cringing, I pulled the phone away, confirming that it was him even as I already knew. "Sorry, Trav, I thought you were Scarlett." I cleared my throat. "Is there something you needed?" Thick silence greeted my question for so long; I thought the call had dropped. "Travis?" I urged.

"I didn't go to my fight yesterday." He said, finally.

I froze, I hadn't been expecting that. "What?"

"I called and asked for a reschedule." He explained. "Which obviously they didn't allow to happen so I forfeited."

I thought about what that meant. The cash he missed out on. His record possibly tarnished. The contractor disappointed. "But you could have... won." He made an incredulous noise. "Seriously, Outlaw, you're undefeatable, remember?" I tried to tease but it didn't work.

His voice was low, regretful. "I just felt bad. About what happened. What I said." My stomach dropped. "You were right; I did say I'd stick to whatever you wanted and still I was pushing on the whole staying over fiasco. Wrong move on my part. I'm sorry."

Rolling my lip between my teeth, I was ready to tell him I changed my mind about that. "Trav—"

He let out a shaky breath, continuing, "And then the whole Emily thing... That was an asshole thing to say."

I laughed nervously, awkwardly. "Yeah if we were dating, Travis. But we're not. You can be with whoever you want."

"Yeah..." He said, without amusement. Suddenly I wondered if the whole deal was off but then, "So the Sigma Pi party tonight?"

I smiled. "I'll be there."

"I can't pick you up?"

No, because it wasn't a date. And quite frankly, Travis had never been inside my apartment and I wanted to keep it that way. Though, I kept that thought to myself. "I'll just meet you at your apartment."

"Okay," Travis agreed reluctantly. "I'll see you at eight."

*

I was a little nervous once I got to his apartment. Going to the party together meant putting everything out there. On purpose. But if I wanted this to continue, I'd have to put my big-girl pants on and deal.

Sucking in a deep breath, I knocked on Travis' door. Shifting on my feet, I smoothed a shaky hand over the burgundy dress I chose to wear for the nigh—ribbed with a scooped neck and knee-length, it hung from thin straps that bridged my shoulders. My lipstick was light pink and smudgeproof; my hair fell in loose curls down my back.