06

S I X

When I told Scarlett about the deal between Travis and me later in my apartment, I expected her to launch into a spiel, listing all the reasons why it would be a bad idea. Instead she blinked blankly at me, and then burst out laughing.

I bristled with nervous, anxious energy. I couldn't lie that I was excited to exploit the new terms of our arrangement. The thought of having Travis all to myself gave me a thrill of satisfaction.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"Maddie..." She shook her head, her curls swaying side to side, a small smile playing on her lips. "You're extremely dense for such a smart person."

And because I knew the way Scarlett's brain worked, my head fell back with a groan. "Oh God, please don't tell me this is a ploy on Travis' behalf on the off-chance of it becoming something else. Because it most certainly is not."

I couldn't think that way, and I wouldn't allow myself to think that way. I knew my strengths and played up my assets when warranted, but I also knew that if Travis—or any guy for that matter—really, truly knew me, they'd walk away. And that's what scared me.

Scarlett immediately surrendered her hands. "All right. Fine." Then she eyed me curiously. "And tell me again why you don't do relationships?"

My lips formed a grim line. I've known Scarlett for around two years but the length of our friendship was disproportional to our level of closeness. I'd never indulged her into my deepest, darkest secrets, and much to my gratitude, she never asked.

I gave her the ever-ready answer. "You get disappointed from being burned one too many times." I said, with an easy shrug.

Scarlett's face slackened with a sympathy or pity, I wasn't sure. "Maybe it was just the wrong guy."

Maybe. Or at least that's what I convinced myself. I smiled at her perseverance that painted me in a light.

She laughed but it was hollow. "You're a font of information, Madeline Wolfe."

Grimacing, my lips curled up apologetically. "It has nothing to do with you, I promise... I just—"

Scarlett held up a hand, interposing. "It's fine. I get it. I won't lie and say I wished you trust me more but I'm not going to push. It's just who you are. That being said, if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm always here."

My throat closed up at her sudden candour. Scarlett never mentioned it before but I could tell that my fear of trusting people and letting them in made it hard for her because she cared about me. This, in turn, only encouraged my tendency to be entitled and fall into pride for the reason that I feared in the end, I'll hurt her.

Guilt swamped me so I could only nod, but she understood. In an effort to blow past the moment, she pushed to her feet. "Thanksgiving break is coming up. You got any plans?"

I smiled as all my past memories of Thanksgiving with Cameron assailed me. "Yup. Cam and me with takeout pizzas and a six-pack."

"Right. I forgot about your tradition." Scarlett rolled her eyes.

She didn't know how much it meant to me, though. Best thing about being broke is that you didn't spend much, obviously, so we could never afford the whole soiree of buying a turkey and all that jazz. It started in our first ever apartment—the roof leaked and the heat bombed but the rent was easy and it was the most we'd accomplished.

"How about you join Ollie and me at my parents this year? Mom always overcooks so we could do with an extra couple of mouths."

My breath left me in a rush. I'd never been invited to a family gathering so hers made me feel all emotional. "I'll tell Cam."