LEO

LEO'S FIRST IMPRESSION – HUGE.

The coliseum was larger than a football stadium.There were many walls rising abruptly from the ground, about a foot taller than Leo. Otherwise? Nothing special. Just a regular, empty coliseum. Oh, unless you count the fact that a ten foot tall Greek Goddess of Victory was standing in the middle.

The three of them approached Nike. She saw them and spread her hands in a welcoming gesture. "Welcome, half-bloods!" her voice boomed. Leo wondered if she had some invisible collar mic or something, because she didn't seem to have any wiring around her.

She cast a large judging desk for her to sit. "As you may recall, five minutes ago I had announced a fight between you three, but gave the forge a choice," she pointed a long, pointy finger at Leo's chest. She got off the chariot and strode over to the desk, staring at Leo. She sat down, laced her fingers and bore into his eyes. "So, my boy, what is your decision?" she asked in a persuasive voice, and gave him a smile.

Leo started, "I..." and trailed off. Suddenly his mind started playing games. A voice spoke in his head, don't fight. What good will it do you? Choose Nike. She has the unlimited hand to victory. Besides, these aren't your real friends. They are just using you to get victory for themselves! What do you think they'll say at camp? They'll praise them, because they have completed many quests, but not you! Because they got all the victory. Choose Nike.

The last sentence echoed in Leo's mind. Victory would be good. He could get anything he wanted.

Leo hesitated. Then he shook his head. He saw Nike boring into his eyes, and he knew she was entering his mind and forcing him to accept her offer.

Leo was shaken badly, and he was afraid that if Nike had got him under control so easily, then the other terrors in store...

He straightened up confidently. "I have decided," he said, in a rather shaky voice, after what he'd just been through. Nike's eyes lit up so fast, she would have jumped up and down if she was not wearing that gown.

"I will stay by my friends' side and fight with them."

The happy glint in her eyes died down just as quickly. "Well, if that's what you want. You are brave and will fight for victory. I am impressed," she nodded approvingly.

"But still, if you wish," she tried hastily."I can protect you from dying at the hands of your fellow half-bloods. You will get wounded, yes, but not die. You can kill the others and be awarded the laurel wreath by me, or you can side with one person and award the winner the laurel wreath. I give you the choice."

Leo couldn't help smiling. A goddess was trying so desperately to get him on her side. He looked at Nike with a serious expression, though inside, he wanted to laugh loudly. "Nah, I don't want that," he said pleasantly.

The goddess looked at him frantically. "What do you not want?"

"Uh, well actually, everything. Including the laurel... eh, you call that a wreath?" he pointed at the wreath in her hand, disgusted.

She looked at him disbelievingly, then at the sick ring in her hand, then back at Leo.

"You-you mock my wonderful wreath of victory?" she stared at him in amazement.

"Yeah," he said as if it were obvious.

Nike's mouth hung open. Then she nodded softly, still shocked. "Okay. Well, let's begin the fight, then."

Then she reduced to human size, along with the desk and her chariot.

"Begin!" she announced.

Percy snorted, and then laughed openly. "You?" he giggled, gesturing at her.

Nike was apparently mystified. She stared at Percy in disbelief. Her eye twitched. "Yes, me. Who is there to judge other than me?" she shrieked in horror.

"What he means to say," Annabeth chimed in. "Is that there is someone who can judge better than you."

"Who?"

Annabeth made a big show of thinking. She snapped her fingers and said, "Victoria, isn't it? Your Roman form?"

"Aaaagh!" she put her hands on her temples. Her form flickered, and soon there were two goddesses standing before them. The second goddess wore a purple and black billowing gown. Her arms were decorated with silver armbands. She wore a silver headband over her forehead. In her hand was a purple, glittering staff.

"Well," Annabeth said, pleasantly. "There's the better one."

"Did you hear that?" Victoria chided. "She said I'm better."

Suddenly, Leo got a crazy idea.

"Well, I think you both are the same!" he exclaimed. "Because, well, there can't be only one victory, can there?"

Annabeth and Percy seemed to buy what Leo was trying. They agreed with him.

Percy nodded his head convincingly.

Annabeth looked at the goddesses brightly. "Yes, my ladies! Two sides can win! Actually, more than two!"

"No, they cannot!" Nike shrieked.

"Impossible!" Victoria shrieked at the same time.

"Aaaaagh!" both the goddesses put their hands on their temples and began shaking their heads vigorously.

Finally Annabeth's plan was getting into action.

Then Victoria flickered and disappeared. Nike stopped shaking her head.

She looked up, dazed, and screamed, "My patience is wearing thin, demigods. So quit wasting time and let the fight begin!"

They drew their swords, and on the count of three, charged behind the nearest wall.

: