His Heart

Song: Anthony Hamilton - Her Heart

Dedication to one of my lovely followers: aditimanoj

"Avril, Avril is it?" A curious, deep voice that probably would have been good for talking on radio stations knocked me out of my thoughts as I watched the male warriors duel. It was the early afternoon and many of the warriors, female and male, were now lazing around the village doing various activities to stay active and keep busy. It was eye-opening to see the normally rowdy and bustling warriors languid and carefree. It was not often I saw them like this considering they were more often than not aggressive and stoic.

Hearing the baritone voice that knocked me out of my entertained ogling, my eyes flickered up and connected to a pair of warm gray eyes. I bit back a smile seeing Togen. Togen was one of the male warriors who had not been paired up with a female and who was simply here for backup. However, just like Ivy had surmised early on, none of the backup men were actually needed because apparently the women and men were doing just fine with copulating.

Since Togen was not linked to a warrior, he made it his personal mission to get close to me. Considering that just like the females, the males hunted for 'powerful women', Ivy had filled me in, to mother their young and considering how many rumors were flying around about me these days, it was no surprise that Togen had made it his personal mission to pursue me. So far I had rumors that I was actually a ghost and not the real Avril, some said I worked with dark magic, and some said what happened in the flower fields was just a hoax. Either way, the continuous conversations about me had all caked up to the conclusion that I was some new breed of powerful woman.

With that conception of me came a ridiculous amount of male attention and fascination. At first it was easy to ignore the lingering looks and heated whispers from the male warriors I came across. I wasn't use to that type of attention from the opposite gender unless it was from Ike, so I never really was able to pick up when a guy wanted to get my attention. In fact, I simply denied it and ignored it considering a week ago they barely paid me any mind. However, the more and more I continued to be under a microscope the more I began to pick up on the fact that, hey, a lot of these warriors wanted me and not in the friendly way, but in the hey I want to put my bun in your oven type of a way because I have deemed you has viable mate. The idea slightly creeped me out and put me even more on edge considering I was looked at less like a person and more as a creature whose only purpose was to aid in creating a strong lineage.

Forcing a smile, I looked up at Togen. "Togen, you know my name already. We even chatted for a bit yesterday."

He flashed me a smile, two dimples instead of one, appeared on his wickedly handsome face before he sat down across from me. "I know, but you looked so annoyed just a second ago and I thought that was cute."

Red flared across my neck and my cheeks at his compliment. I was so not good at doing this with the opposite gender.

"What flirting?" My voice questioned.

"I guess." I replied back confused.

It scoffed. "Why are you flirting. You have a man!" I could hear the scolding in its tone.

I rolled my eyes. "Ike and I are through."

"Since when bitch?" It blurted.

"I don't know. I have just been avoiding him and just decided it on my own."

"That's fucking cute, real cute. Stupid too considering you can't just break up with your kindred spirit."

"I'm done with him. He doesn't deserve me." I spat, scoffing just like it.