28. The calm before the storm (Part II)

Logan's POV

The party, or as Everybody else liked to call it the dance was just beginning when we entered the ballroom. There were way too many lights; it was like walking into a fucking winter wonderland. A big and bright chandelier hung from the ceiling plus there were small lit candles surrounding the centerpieces on every table which was baby's breath spray painted silver in tall white vases.

There was also this fake snowy wood backdrop behind the stage that was highlighted by blue lights to give the impression that the wood was going on for miles. Each corner of the room had a white a Christmas tree that was overly decorated with lights, ornaments and other unnecessary shit and there was fake snow underneath each tree.

Seriously who thought of all this shit?

I couldn't deal, the lights were killing my vision. Just before we came in I was nearly blinded by the photographer who took pictures of us in this tacky set-up of a fake snowy gazebo with fake icicles and a fake snowy backdrop. He had the set up in a corner by the entrance, taking pictures of all the couples, like it was prom or homecoming or something. I didn't want to take any pictures but Lulu insisted and I stood next to her awkwardly while she posed her little ass off smiling harder than a mad scientists.

I looked around the ball room and I swore it seemed like the entire school was there. I was already overwhelmed by all the damn lights and with all these people in here I felt clogged in. I needed space, I liked my space, I knew coming here tonight was a bad idea but I let Lulu talk me into like how she does about everything, promising it would be a good idea when I knew it wouldn't.

The last time I was at Ryland Hall was for my sister's wedding which was nice. It was our family, Jack's family and a few of their friends. We took a few pictures, dance, ate, got drunk and called it a night. Tonight was not going to be like this at all. There was no alcohol in sight and if there was, well, I didn't know about it.

I loosened the tie around my neck as Lulu and took a seat at a table near the dance floor. The DJ who had a table set up near the stage was playing Top forty songs. If it wasn't a bad remix of a song I liked it was some pop techno shit. Everything sounded the same these days, that's why I stopped listening to the radio.

"This is so nice," Lulu noted looking around the room.

Nice wouldn't be the word I would use to describe this over-lit room but I smiled and let her think that I was agreeing with her. I couldn't stand this façade anymore. I hated being here with her. The cleavage bearing skimpy dress she was wearing wasn't cutting it for me. She was showing too much skin. Lulu always showed too much skin, it was like the idea of being somewhat covered up never appealed to her. Whatever happened to leaving some things to the imagination? Whatever happened to dressing like a lady? Would it hurt her to look elegant and sophisticated? That was all I wanted, I knew I was never going to get that from her as well as other things and I wasn't planning on sticking around to see if things would get better. She wasn't the girl for me and after tonight we'd be history.

"Lulu," a high shrilled voice disrupted my thoughts.

Oh shit her friends were here. Chloe, Katy and Deena I think. They came toward us squealing loudly causing a scene while their dates lingered behind pretending they didn't notice the amount of noise the girls were making. I spotted my boy Luke between Katy and Deedum's dates; I think he was here with Chloe.