Chapter 23: Need You Now

Song: Need You Now

By: Lady Antebellum

I hold him tightly as he drives at an insanely quick pace that has my heart beating rapidly out of fear as I lay my head to the side in order not to hit his back with the helmet and pray for our lives internally. 

Why did I ever agree to this?! I wonder as I basically attempt to choke him out with my death grip. Because he was kissing you and you were freaking out because you've never been kissed before and you were afraid that you were going to like it. My mind answers back sarcastically and I almost reach up to give it a good whack when I remember that my life is very much at stake right now. 

I settle for telling my brain to shut up as we hit a bump, causing me to hold on even tighter if that's even possible and letting out a little squeak of fear. I feel Blake's stomach shake beneath my hands and immediately know he heard me and that he thought it was hilarious. 

I hit his stomach with my fist before resuming my death grip when he makes a sharp curve to get back at me. "Sometimes I really hate you!" I shout at him, causing him to laugh even more as he pulls in somewhere and stops.

I don't let go, afraid it's just a trick and he's gonna take off as soon as I let my guard down. "I'm not going to take off again, you can let go now." He says with amusement in his tone. I slowly crack my eyes open and move myself away from him and off the bike. 

I stand on wobbly legs as I ask, "Why does ever supposed 'bad boy' have to drive a stinking motorcycle." He laughs before smirking at me. "You think I'm a bad boy?" He asks and I look at him straight in the eye before replying, "No." He looks surprised and confused at my serious expression and stares at my sudden change of mood curiously. 

"You can't be a bad boy if you're bathroom boy." I tell him and he rolls his eyes as I bust out laughing. He stares at me as I calm myself down before asking, "Well what does you being in the boy's bathroom make you?" 

I think about this for a few moments, pondering anything except stupid or perverted before finally finding my answer. "I'm insane, that's what it would make me." He looks amused by this answer as he leans against his motorcycle, taking off his helmet. I follow his lead and take mine off as well before handing it to him and smoothing down my ruffled hair. 

"To think, I kissed an insane girl." He laughs before looking at me with a smirk. "You seem pretty sane to me." He tells me as he comes closer and I immediately step away. "You know, you really shouldn't kiss insane girls. I-it's not healthy." I tell him nervously, only making him smirk more as he backs me up against a wall and cages me in with his arms.

"And why isn't it healthy? You aren't diseased and insane are you?" He asks, looking amused at my discomfort. "I-I just don't think you should kiss someone you barely know." I tell him as I put my hand on his chest to stop him from coming any closer.

He stares into my eyes for a few more minutes before pushing himself away and grinning down at me. "I'm a fast learner, I'll know you like the back of my hand and have you falling for me before you have time to catch yourself." He tells me and I can't hold myself back as I say, "And then you'll crush me, because that's all that love is, a giant disappointment with only one possible outcome."

He looks surprised at that before he leans in again and whispers, "Well, I don't know who you've loved, but I don't do that to the ones I care about." I laugh before responding, "Why would you care about me? We only just met and you can already probably tell I'm not worth it, I'm too broken." 

He stares at me with a small smile. "I'll be the judge of that." With that he moves away and starts towards the door to the building he had me trapped against. It takes me a few seconds to collect myself before I follow him in. As soon as I walk in I feel myself smile. He took me to an arcade.

I jump in joy as I dart over to the PacMan and start scrounging for quarters in my purse. I hear an amused chuckle from behind me and turn to see Blake holding a whole bucket of tokens. "You see? I already know you better than you thought." He tells me as he steps forward and slips two coins into the machine. 

I immediately step forward and play my heart out in my favorite game. "I'm gonna go get some drinks." Blake says after I play five rounds and I only nod as a sign that I heard him before reaching out and stuffing some of his tokens in my pockets before moving on to a different game. 

I hear Blake walk up as I sit down at a table to let my fingers rest and he sits a drink in front of me. I take a sip and smile in surprise. "I love lemonade." I tell him and he nods with a knowing smile. I look at him cautiously before asking, "How do you know all of this stuff? You aren't a stalker are you?" I feel nervousness rise in my chest and he quickly shakes his head no.

"N-No.... I've been.... um.... talking to your friend Chloe." He mumbles and I laugh. "Of course you have." He looks at me in confusion and I lean forward on my hands. "Did she tell you take me here and do all of this? Is that why you said you were going to figure me out and all that?" I ask and he quickly shakes his head to deny it.

"No, of course not. I wouldn't do it just because someone told me to. I did it because the moment I met you in that airport bathroom you interested me. You still do. I can't seem to get you out of my head and I'm constantly bumping into you everywhere. I want to get to know you better but I wanted to make sure I did something you would enjoy.

I knew you and Chloe were close so I asked her if the arcade was alright and she said that you loved it. She also told me that you really like lemonade. Honestly, I probably should have asked her about your fear of motorcycles too." I nod vigorously and he laughs as he leans back in his seat. 

After a few minutes of slurping on our drinks I ask, "Why do I interest you? Why are you doing all of this for me?" I stare at him, wondering and he smiles. "I've never met someone who acts like you do. The way you do things and the looks you give when you're up to something. I don't see how anyone couldn't stop to get to know you better." He tells me as he leans forward on his hands.

I stare at him before shaking my head. "There are a lot of better looking girls out there. A lot of girls who would love to be with you. You're wasting your time with someone like me." I tell him and he slowly shakes his head.

"That's up to me don't you think? Just give me a chance, I promise, I'm really not that bad once you get to know me." I laugh before letting out a long breath and nodding. "Fine, you have until I leave this summer to get to know me." I tell him with a laugh as I finish my lemonade and throw the cup in the trash.

He looks confused as I stand to leave. He follows behind as he asks, "You're leaving this summer?" I nod in response as I slowly approach his death-mobile. "I don't really have a reason to stay." I mumble softly as I get closer to the scary contraption. 

I'm beside it when I feel his hand wrap around my wrist as he turns me to face him before pushing my lower back against his bike. "What if I give you a reason to stay?" He asks softly, his eyes staring into mine and I laugh softly before shaking my head. Everyone is saying that nowadays. 

"My cousin and Chloe think they can do that too. This place has already hurt me enough to last me the rest of my life. I need a new start." I tell him but I already see the determination in his eyes as he comes closer. He has real problem with invading my personal space. 

"I can see that you're in a dark place, but if I can be brought out of my dark place, so can you and you will before you leave. You'll find a reason to stay, I can tell you that much right now." He tells me and I almost believe him but I'm quick to slowly shake my head no.

"I-it's too late. I-I've been like this for to long." I stutter as I weakly attempt to push him away with no success. "I just met you, I'm not losing you that quickly." He tells me as he reaches behind me before pulling my helmet onto my head along with his own.

"I want you to stay and I have a knack at getting what I want."