Chapter 31: The House That Built Me

Song: The House that Built Me

By: Miranda Lambert

"Marcy, you need to come around more! I've been stuck with this rascal for years and all he ever does is hover and worry. He's such a baby." Grandma Cream jokes with a wide smile as Blake rolls his eyes before realization dawns on him. 

"Wait Granny, did you remember to take your arthritis medicine?" He asks, concern clear in his voice and she immediately rolls her eyes before looking at me. "Do you see what I mean? Such a worrywart." She jokes and we both laugh as I bring the cup of hot chocolate she gave me to my lips. 

We had been talking like this since we'd got here about an hour ago and I have to say, it's really nice. Grandma Cream never asks if anything's wrong or try to peer into my personal life. She just does her best to be as loving as possible while I'm with her. She's a drama free zone and it's moments like this that I enjoy the most. 

"We should order a pizza for lunch!" Granny Cream declares and Blake looks at her with a raised eyebrow. "Is that really the healthiest option for you?" He asks with a laugh and she shoots him a glare. "I'm old, I'll do what I want." I smile at her serious look, loving this playful side of her where you can see her just trying to get on Blake's nerves.

"But, the pizza's for you two. I'm taking a nap! Night night!" She declares as she throws Blake the phone before hobbling off to her room. I stare at her in surprise and amusement as she shuts her door with a soft thump. Silence engulfs us as we turn to face one another from the bar stools we have sitting at the island in the kitchen. 

"You want pepperoni?" He asks hopefully and I nod with a small smile, causing him to grin cheerfully as he begins to dial the number. "Why don't you go pick a movie while I order?" Blake suggests and I nod before hopping off the bar stool, wincing from the pain in my feet slightly, and hobbling into their cute little living room with floral furniture just screaming that this is a grandma's home. 

I take a seat on the couch before leaning forward and taking the remotes off the coffee table. I flick on their Netflix before searching through the movies as I slip my shoes off and bring my feet up on the couch. 

 I lean my head against my hand before coming to the choice of Lilo and Stitch just as Blake walks in and flops down beside me. He takes a moment to process the movie I've chosen before rolling his eyes and looking at me. "Really, do you know how many times I've seen this movie?" He asks and I raise an eyebrow at him with a small smile.

"I don't actually. Please, do tell." I tell him with a smile and he lets out a groan. "Do you know how many six year old cousins I have? Not counting Luke, I've got twin year old girl cousins who love to watch this movie when Luke's around. They like the Hawaii, family feel and Luke likes the experiments. I've probably seen this movie ten million times." 

I smile at that before nudging him with my shoulder. "That's nice of you to watch your cousins though." I tell him as I start the movie and he looks over at me, matching my raised eyebrow from earlier. "How do you know I watch my cousins?" He asks and I laugh.

"Why else would you have watched this movie that many times?" I ask and he nods in understanding as he looks back at the screen with a look of disdain as he reaches over me to pull up the footrest. I look at him in surprise as he scoots closer, pushing me up to put his arm around me as he puts his feet up beside mine.

"I think there's another foot rest on the other end of the couch." I tell him as I nod in that direction but he doesn't make any sign that he's going to move as he pushes my head to lean on his shoulder. I roll my eyes at him, attempting to pull away but his grip is firm and he refuses to let me move at all.