Chapter 35: Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not

Song: Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not

By: Thompson Square

"Did you have fun?" Blake asks with a smile. The party ended thirty minutes ago and now it's just me, Blake, Chloe, and Logan with a few of his friends to help clean up. Right now we've practically finished and I'm sitting on one of the tables that haven't been dismantled yet swinging my legs as Blake leans beside me. 

I nod to him as I smile cheerfully. It had been the best birthday I've ever had. There had been music, dancing, and red velvet cake thanks to Grandma Cream. "This has been great!" I tell him as he comes to stand in front of me, placing his hands on either side of me and leaning forward. 

"I'm glad, of course I've had the advantage of you not having many birthdays. I just hope you don't expect me to top this next year...... assuming you'll still be here next year." He looks at me hopefully and I smile as I lean forward, kissing him gently. He smiles against my lips before pulling me closer and deepening the kiss. 

We both pull back reluctantly, leaning our heads together as I whisper, "I'm not going anywhere." He smiles before pulling me into a tight hug and swirling me in a circle. "Thank you!" He says cheerfully, drawing some looks from Logan's friends before setting me back on the ground. 

"I love you so much." He tells me as he takes my head in his hands. I smile up at him before replying, "I love you too." His face brightens greatly as he pulls me into another tight hug. We remain like that for a few more minutes until the noise of someone clearing their throat has us jumping apart. 

Chloe smiles at us and I feel my cheeks flame up in embarrassment as I look anywhere except where she is. "I'm sorry to interrupt you two love birds but I need Blake's help carrying a few of these boxes of lanterns to my truck." Blake nods, kissing my forehead. "I'll be right back." He tells me softly as he follows Chloe over to the boxes. 

I watch them start down the path with the boxes before turning to start putting up the last table. I have it almost done when I glance over to see Chloe's keys on the ground. Of course she forgot her keys. I giggle at the thought of her walking out there only to discover she has no keys. 

"Logan, your girlfriend left her keys! Can you finish the table while I run them back to her?" I ask and he quickly nods as I turn to start jogging the path. I get about halfway when I hear their voices ahead. I go to call out when something stops me. "I'm glad you got her to stay." Chloe's voice is faint as I quicken my pace to get a little closer. 

"Yeah, me too." I hear Blake reply and smile a little to myself as I go to say something when Chloe's next comment stops me again. "I'm glad you took my suggestion on taking her out, you should be thanking me for your relationship." She jokes cheerfully. I feel my eyes narrow at her words as I listen closer.

"Sure, thank you for all your help." He says softly and I let out a breath of surprise as I feel her keys fall from my hand. He only asked me out because Chloe asked him to. I think as pain hits me and I clutch my chest and push back the tears. Of course no one would ever want to be with me on their own. My friend had to be the one to get my first boyfriend to ask me out, and he even lied to me about it. 

I look down at where I had dropped the keys before setting them under one of the remaining lanterns. I stare at them for a moment before turning and taking off back towards the clearing. I lose my shoes part way there and get a few cuts by the time I reach the clearing.

It's empty now and flashlights shine everywhere as the boys get the last few boxes. "Logan!" I call out and he immediately turns to look at me, effectively shining his flashlight right into my eyes. I blink a few times and hold my hand in front of them. He quickly tilts the light down before replying, "Yeah?"

I am quick to hide my feelings from him before asking, "Do you mind taking me home? I'm not feeling very well and Blake wants to stay to help clean up." My excuse comes off better than expected and Logan nods before leading me down the trail opposite to the one Chloe and Blake went down where the majority of them had parked.

"So did you have fun?" Logan asks with a kind smile as he unlocks his truck before getting in as I go around to the passenger side to get in. "A blast." I lie through my teeth as I lean on the window. He starts up the truck, sensing I don't want to talk as he turns on the radio before taking off. 

-------------------------------------------

I sit on the couch, my legs pulled up to my chest as I watch the TV blankly in the pitch dark. I had changed into my pajamas as soon as I got home an hour ago. I blink a few times at the screen before clicking through the channels without really thinking about it. 

The time 10:24 comes over the screen and I let out a sigh at it. Chris, Taylor, and Aunt Janice were already asleep when I got home so now I'm just sitting by myself as the background noise from the TV buzzes through my ears. My dad isn't around the house much since my blowout. You never really see him unless he's coming to sleep and that's about it.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when the roar of an engine comes from outside. I blink a few times as it abruptly stops right outside. My mind races for an explanation but it doesn't take me long to know who it is. I let out a sigh and immediately push myself up and walk over to the door.

I open just as he's about to knock and he looks at me in surprise. He blinks for a few seconds before smiling and tilting his head at me. "Hey, I came back and a dude said you left with Logan. Are you alright?" He asks and I glare at him as I take a step out the door grabbing my keys on the way before closing the door behind me. 

"No, I'm not alright actually. I'd actually love it if you'd leave and never show your face to me again." He looks completely confused as I continue to aim my poison filled words right at him, wishing he could feel the pain I feel right now.

"M-Marcy, what are you talking about?" He asks, pain and confusion starting to leak into his words as he listens to me. "Did you do all of this because Chloe begged you to? Is it all because I'm so pathetic that I could never get a guy to love or even like me any other way?" Treacherous tears leak down my cheeks now as the pain raises to my chest, making it hard to breath.

He blinks a few times, clearly still confused as he asks, "I still don't understand. What are you talking about?" I shake my head, quickly wiping my tears away as I look away from him and towards the cloudy night sky. 

"I heard you two." I pause, trying to collect myself and get rid of the tremor before continuing. "When Chloe said she's the reason that we're even together." I say the last part softly and understanding immediately floods into Blake's eyes as he quickly shakes his head. 

"No, you don't understand-" I cut him off as I smack him across the face. "I don't want to hear it." I snap as my breathing becomes quicker. We stare at on another for a moment, pleading in his eyes as he reaches out to me. "Please-" I quickly push him away, shaking my head. 

"It's done. You both lied to me and there's no going back. I never want to see you again." I spit as I turn away from him before unlocking my door and slamming it behind me as the tears come in a flood. I hear knocking as Blake shouts things from the other side of the door but I refuse to listen as I run up the stairs to my room and fall on the bed in a miserable heap.

Happy Birthday to me.