Chapter 15: What Hurts The Most

Song: What Hurts The Most

By: Rascal Flatts

"Thanks for the ride." I mumble as I try to shove Chloe out of the way in order to escape the truck. Chloe seems persistent to be as slow as possible as she lets out a yawn and stretch before slowly opening the door and sliding out.

I'm almost out when Chloe's face perks up and she smiles at me deviously. I look at her worriedly as she leans across me to look at Blake. He gives her an amused look as she says, "You should call Marcy some time." I look at her in horror as she shoots me a smile before turning back to Blake.

Blake looks at me with a smirk before nodding with a wink in my direction as he says, "I would love to if she would give me her number." I groan inwardly as Chloe's smile widens and she motions to where I have my phone in my front pocket.

I quickly shake my head before telling them as I cross my arms across my chest stubbornly, "I don't give my number to strangers." Chloe rolls her eyes at my stubbornness and Blake laughs softly. "But I don't consider us strangers. I mean, I already know where you live and what your name is. I have all the information I would need to stalk you if I were to be a stalker."

I look at him in horror as him and Chloe bust out in laughter while I open and close my mouth like an idiot. I finally regain my composure and go to shove Chloe out of the way so I can escape my embarrassment. Chloe rolls her eyes at me as she pulls out her phone and pulls something up before turning it around to show Blake the screen.

I stop trying to escape to crane around to see what she's showing him just as he pulls out his phone and starts typing something down. I look at the numbers blankly before something clicks in my head as she retracts her phone and Blake shoots me a wink.

I look at Chloe with wide eyes as I feel my jaw unhinge and my mouth drops open. "You gave him my number?!" I screech as I go to attack her with my ninja skills. She smirks at me before darting out of the truck with me chasing close behind.

I can hear Blake laughing from behind us but I'm too busy chasing her and her stinking track skills outpacing me. "How could you do this to me?! I thought we were friends?!" I scream as she reaches the back of my house and peaks around the corner at me.

"I'm helping you with your future, so calm yourself down!" She shouts back at me as I near the corner with my breath picking up as I get closer. I come around the corner to find her already climbing the tree in the backyard.

I run to the bottom and look up to see her staring down at me. "I don't need you to help me with my future! My future will be fine without a guy! Why can't you just realize that already?!" I yell at her and she climbs down close enough to shake her head at me.

"You're wrong and you know it. We all know you're lonely, even if you won't admit it." I look at her frowning stubbornly as I cross my arms and turn to lean my back against the tree. I think for a few minutes, letting out a huff of air and craning my neck up to look back up at her.

"I'll give him a chance, only because I promised you, but I'd prefer it if you wouldn't meddle so much." I tell her and she lets out sigh before nodding as she starts to lower herself back to the ground. I move out of the way for her as she lands with a soft thud.

I turn to look at her as she straightens to look back at me. "I appreciate that you care, but if I'm ever going to let anyone open my heart with that stinking key, then it's going to have to be on my own with my own free will. No friends should be controlling any aspect of it." I tell her as I put my hands on her shoulders to make sure she doesn't run away or anything.

She nods in agreement before replying, "Fine, I'll stay out of it, but I expect progress reports every other week. Do you understand me Missy?" She gives me a stern look and I smile before nodding as she yanks me into a hug.

I feel discomfort crawl through me at the hug but hug her nonetheless. I'm not too big on hugs, but I know when they're necessary, and I guess now would be one of those times. We stay in that position for a few minutes until she finally releases me and pulls out her phone.

"I'm going to have Logan come pick me up. I can't have your dad catch me hear with his girl around." She says in disgust as she gives me a sympathetic smile before putting her phone to her ear. She disappears back around the front of the house and I walk in the back door, yawning as I do.

"Marcy! I've missed you so much!" Chris squeals like a girl as he tackles me from behind, causing us both to hit the ground with a loud thud. I let out a groan of pain as I roll over to my back to shove him off.

"What's your deal you big oaf?" I grunt as I attempt to push myself off the ground. He smiles at me childishly as he pushes himself up behind me as I go to walk up to my room. "No wait! I'm board, hang out with me! Please!!!!" He whines and I roll my eyes at him as he pulls me down to sit by him on the couch.

I turn to look at him before leaning against the armrest of the couch and crossing my arms at him. "What do you want to do?" I ask with a tired sigh and he taps his chin thoughtfully before a smile breaks out across his face. "Lets go get ice cream!" He shouts as he pulls me to my feet and down the street before I'm even able to process what's happening.

"Shouldn't we have invited Taylor?" I ask after we'd walked for a few minutes on the sidewalk. He glances back at me with a shrug before replying, "She left early this morning to do a project with some of her classmates. I haven't seen her since." I nod just as we reach the ice cream shop.