Chapter 13: Heartbeat

Song: Heartbeat

By: Carrie Underwood

I haven't seen Taylor all day. I think curiously as I stare out the window of my first class after lunch. I hadn't even seen her at lunch. I can't help wonder where she's been when I notice the AP Biology class walk outside to do experiments, that's when I see Taylor, as bubbly as ever, skipping along behind the group.

I watch her for a few seconds before letting out a sigh. She's acting like a child again. I thought she was trying to change. I let out a groan before twisting in my sit and tapping Chris's forehead with my mechanical pencil. 

He looks up in aggravation. Chris likes to get into his work, he hates it when I distract him. I point in the direction of the window. He rolls his eyes before turning to look to see his twin acting the same as she had before our talk yesterday. 

I see his eyes darken and he lets out a deep sigh before turning back to his work. I watch him for a few for seconds before turning back to look over my own work. I'm a tad faster than Chris when it comes to school work, though, Chris works twice as hard as me, so it's not very fair that I should be able to pertain this stuff so easily, but I do.

I can feel  his gaze on my back every now and then as he shoots me small glares. He's jealous, I can tell. I let out a sigh before glancing over my shoulder at him and raising an eyebrow. "Do your work." I hiss and he frowns at me angrily.

He gets so mad at the simplest of things. I smile a little bit, until I look back out the window. What is going on with Taylor's head? I wonder just as the bell rings. It's too bad that I don't have any classes with her, otherwise I'd ask. It looks like that'll have to wait until we get home. 

I shrug to myself before heading out of class. It's sad that I have a bad memory.

---------------------------------------------------

"Yeah?" I say with a sigh as I run a hand through my hair and Chloe continues to rant to me over the phone about a glitch that happened on her webpage as I walk to the bus stop to meet her at the airport. She'd threatened to drag me there in an elf costume if I didn't come on my own.

That is seriously like her second home or something. She's always wanting to be there for some reason and it's seriously effecting my sleep habits. I reach the bus stop with my iPod's music blaring in my ears as get on and pay my fair before taking a seat near the front.

I bob my head to the music as I stare out the window and watch the scenery pass by. I'm about half way to the airport when a nasty smell hits me from the seat behind. I glance back to see a mother scrunching her nose at the smell as she glances down at the baby in her arms. 

Great, just how I wanted to spend my Saturday. I think as I let out a sigh before leaning my head against the window. The bus jolts and I let out a groan as my head hits the window with a thump. I hear a younger boy across from me snicker at my pain.

I shoot him a glare and stay silent for the rest of the ride until I reach the airport where a surprising amount of people get off and I'm forced to wait a few minutes while the mom from before struggles with her smelly baby and a screaming five year old who is screaming how he's tired and wants to go home.

When I finally get off I walk towards the airport and shoot Chloe a text in which she responds, Get your booty to Terminal five! I let out a breath at her text before slowly following her instructions and reaching the terminal twenty minutes after I received the message.

I spot Chloe almost immediately and she finds me as well. She frowns at me and fear immediately pierces my soul. Yeah, Chloe's scary when you upset her. I start to back track but Chloe is in front of me in little to no time.

"You. Are. Slow." She complains and I smile at her nervously as she latches onto my arm and yanks me over to where she had been sitting. She pulls me onto one of the chairs before pulling out her phone and typing furiously.

I watch her as she sets it in front of me to reveal that stupid tracking app she got for the heart key. She motions for me to look at it and I let out a groan before leaning over the table she had set the phone on to see the little heart moving. 

"Okay, what am I seeing?" I ask after a few seconds of watching the heart move across the small (slightly cracked) screen. She groans before shaking her head at me in disappointment. She puts her hand on my shoulder before saying, "My dear, dear friend. This," she points to the screen, "is your future."

I raise an eyebrow at her before leaning back in my chair and crossing my arms over my chest. "How is  that my future?" I ask curiously and she grins cheerfully before taking her phone and staring at it happily. "This is your future person that arrives on this plane holds the key to your heart."

I lean forward in surprise before snatching her phone out of her hand and looking at the screen. I read the names on it before seeing the name of the airport we're in. I panic momentarily until a calming thought crosses through my mind.

"That doesn't mean anything, for all we know that boy could have a girlfriend, or better yet, that could be a girl." She stares at me for a minute but her smile never wavers as she glances towards the plane that had just landed.

"Well I guess we'll see, because if he's our age, male, and single you have to give him a chance." She declares and I nod slowly with a sigh. It's not too likely that a single male our age will walk off with the heart key. At least, I doubt it....