Chapter 6: Say Something I'm Giving up on You

Song: Say Something I'm Giving Up On You

By: A Great Big World

"That looks good." Chloe says in agreement with Emma as I walk out of the dressing room for what seems like the thousandth time. "It feels like I've been shoved into an empty tub of lipstick." I complain as I stare down at the jeans and send them a pouting look.

Chloe throws up her hands in frustration. "You haven't liked a single thing that we've picked out for you!" She cries as she slumps down into one of the chairs directly in front of the dressing room. I shrug at her before smiling hopefully.

"Does that mean we're done?" Her determination returns and I feel all of my hope disappear as she thrusts another pile of clothes at me. "We won't be leaving until you find something you like." She orders and I feel tears push at the backs of my eyes.

This is torture! My head screams and I mentally pat it. Everything will be alright young one. I tell myself as I walk back into the dressing room and drop onto the floor in front of the mirror. I stare at my disheveled appearance before slipping off the super tight jeans and pulling my nice, loose jeans back on.

I pat them with a small smile before staring up at the ceiling. "Clothe shopping is stupid!" I shout out to them. I hear a muffled reply but ignore it as I stretch out on the ground of the changing space. 

"Hurry up!" Chloe shouts and I roll my eyes. I wonder how long it will take her to give up? I let out a sigh at the thought. Chloe is persistent so we could be here for another hour or so, she doesn't like to lose that's for sure.

I'm about to roll over to my side when I see the door open and Chloe walks in before looking down at me with a frown. "You aren't even trying!" She exclaims and I shrug. She rolls and stares up at the ceiling as she tries to control her frustration.

"You. Are. Ridiculous." She snaps and I smile up at her innocently before pulling my puppy dog eyes on her. "I don't know what you mean." She runs a hand through her hair with a sigh before holding out her hand to me. 

I take it and she pulls me to my feet before smacking me across the face. It wasn't hard but it surprised me none the less. I rub my cheek to calm the sting as I look at her in surprise. "Alright, why don't we leave this mess here and go get some food? I'll just buy you some sweatpants and sweatshirts before we leave."

I smile cheerfully at that before following her and Emma out of the store and to the food court. That's the only place I actually like in the entire mall. Though, I would actually prefer my kitchen at home this is the best I can get at the moment.

We had split up with the boys when we got to the mall and are now meeting at the food court. I walk over and stand in the line for Chick-fil-a with a large smile on my face. I love Chick-fil-a, it has the best chicken EVER!

"This is the most excitement I've seen from you all day." Emma laughs and I smile widely. "Food always cheers me up." I tell her and she nods in agreement. "Yeah, food is good." We begin to talk about our favorites when I reach the head of the line. 

I nearly clap in happiness as I tell the cashier what I want before switching lines to wait patiently for my food. Of course by patiently I mean I'm bouncing on my heels in my excitement. Emma laughs as I smile brightly at the sight of others blessing their stomachs with the delicious food. 

My stomach grumbles in anticipation as I move up in line and hold out my money in trade for the food. I take it before skipping off to the table where my friends sit waiting. I slide into my seat without looking up before digging in. 

I'm about halfway through when I look up to see the couples whispering to each other and being all lovey dovey with one another. I look down at my food and then myself before looking back up at the couples. A sting of sadness hits me in chest as loneliness fills me for the first time around my friends.

I finally understand what they mean by being the third- no fifth, wheel. I sigh at the thought before setting my food down and leaning on my hands. I stare across the food court and at one of the signs blankly as my appetite leaves me. 

I'm used to hanging around my friends and not feeling like this. I usually feel so welcome and always have someone to talk to, but now, I feel like I'm intruding on some special moment that only couples would understand.

I glance at Chloe to see a beaming smile pointed at Logan who smiles back with equal happiness. I turn my gaze at Emma and Sam who laugh together softly as Sam puts his arm around Emma, pulling her closer in the process. I turn my gaze back to my food and sigh before pushing my chair out and taking my food to throw it away.

Chloe and Logan stare at me in shock. "Why'd you throw it away?" Sam asks in complete surprise and I look away before shrugging. "I'm just not hungry anymore. Can you take me home now?" I ask Chloe softly and she stares at me for a minute before slowly nodding. 

"Sure. I'll just get you the clothes another time I guess." She looks worried and I force myself to give her a small smile as I walk towards the exit of the mall, not even looking back to check if they're following or not.

I hear the clatter of chairs as they rush to throw away their food and catch up with me as I walk straight to where Chloe had parked the truck. I reach the vehicle just as Chloe unlocks it and I jump in quickly. 

As soon as I'm inside I lean my head against the window and shut my eyes. I really don't want to watch the mushy love fest again. I hate feeling lonely, with no one who loves me or no one I can love.