Chapter 14: Break Up In A Small Town

Song: Break Up In A Small Town

By: Sam Hunt

People begin to flood out of the plane but Chloe refuses to look up from her phone as I scan the area around the plane exit. "He just got off the plane!" Chloe squeals, earning a few disdained looks from an older couple as they drag their children to the exit. Most likely their grandchildren. I think with a small smile as I watch the small family.

"He's by the sign." Chloe whispers and I jump in surprise by her closeness. I look over to the sign she had motioned to to see an elderly man leaning on his cane as he searches the airport for someone. I can't help but laugh as Chloe's face falls and she glances back down at her phone.

I watch him walk away and look back to Chloe with a triumphant smile, only to see that she has the same smile spread across her face. "It wasn't him." She tells me and I feel my stomach drop as I look back over to the sign. 

I notice a pair of shoes moving underneath the sign and quickly walk over to peer around the other side. I stop in shock as I say, "Bathroom boy?!" Blake turns to look at me in surprise before smiling and tilting his head at me. "Marcy? Do you live at the airport or something?" He asks as he starts towards me.

I stare at him, gaping like a fish as I glance around the sign at Chloe who gives me a questioning look as I look back at Blake. "N-no, I don't live here." I stutter and he raises an eyebrow at me as he stops to lean against his big black suitcase.

"Then, how come we're always seeing each other here? Did you go on a trip or something?" He asks as his gaze searches for my missing suitcase. "Um, no. My friend dragged me here because she believes I have no life." I tell him as I hear Chloe walk up behind me.

I hear her slight intake of breath and immediately know she thinks he's good looking. "Awe, the friend who thinks Marcy has no life, what do you know?" Blake smiles as Chloe appears and she gives him a shy smile in return.

I roll my eyes at her lack of response before turning to leave. "Well it was nice seeing you again but I think it was time we left." I tell him quickly, knowing Chloe is going to ask how we know each other. Chloe asks this precise question to Blake as she grabs my arm to stop me from leaving before shooting me a glare, freezing me in my tracks.

"Well, I had to help her escape the boys bathroom when she walked in there by mistake." He explains and I let out a pained groan. Stupid truth-telling boy. I complain to myself as I shake off Chloe's hold on my arm to cross it over my chest as she busts out in laughter.

"Okay, I think it's time for us to leave now." I tell them as I attempt to walk away again. "I guess you're planning on walking. We ain't going anywhere until I call Logan to come pick us up." She tells me and I look at her in confusion.

"Didn't you drive here?" I ask and she shakes her head as she looks down at her feet in embarrassment. I groan, not even bothering to ask her twisted mind why she didn't drive as I press the palm of my hand to my forehead.

"I can give you guys a ride." Blake offers and I look up in surprise to see that he's still there. I would've expected him to walk away slowly from our craziness by now. He smiles at us as he slips his keys out of his pocket and twirls them around his finger.

"I had a friend of mine drop off my car an hour before I got here. I would be heading towards it already, but...... I don't know how to get out of this stupid air port." He explains and I grin a little as Chloe motions for us to follow her.

Blake falls into step beside me as he attempts to make conversation with me. From this small talk I learn that he attends my school's arch rival, he's sixteen, an only child, and is in fact, single (of course when he told me this he just had to wink at me).

I can tell Chloe's trying to subtly listen as she turns her head towards us every time she hears something that catches her interest. I almost laugh a few times at her attempts in listening to our conversation when she nearly trips over a small dog being walked directly in front of her.

I notice Blake holding back a laugh as well as we make it out of the airport and into the parking lot where Blake takes the lead and leads us to where his friend told him he'd parked his car. I notice Chloe sending me obvious smiles along with questioning looks as we dodge around cars to come to a white, two door truck, "Okay, so it's not actually mine. My friend's letting me watch and use it while he's away." He tells us as he unlocks the truck.

I look at it in disdain, already knowing what Chloe's going to say before she says it. "I call window seat!" She shouts before I have a chance to blink and darts over to the door. I let out a sigh at her while Blake laughs softly. 

He unlocks the door and Chloe motions me in. I slide into the middle and am quickly sandwiched by best friend and bathroom boy. He winks at me as he starts up the truck and I can't help but roll my eyes. Why oh why did he of all people have to find the key? I wonder as I notice Chloe check her phone one more time on the app.

I can tell she's in disbelief as well, but hers is more like a happy surprise, like when you get a puppy for Christmas. Mines more like when you forget to turn off your car and you wake up, late for school on a rainy day to find your car dead and no choice but to make a run for it.

I sigh at that thought. That's happened on numerous occasions to Chloe, and that effects me as well considering she's my ride too.

I look at Blake out of the corner of my eye to see him smirking to himself. He's just reaching the exit out of the parking lot and glances to Chloe for directions. She quickly tells him the way to my house, sending me a devious smile when she's done.

I bite back a groan that threatens to escape as the thought of a boy I met in the bathroom knowing where I live. Chloe's going to get it when he drops us off. I shoot her a concealed glare that she doesn't see as she attempts to engage Blake in a conversation.

 Sadly, the conversation starts with, "So, Blake. You're not a kidnapper are you?" I laugh softly at that and he smiles in response before shaking his head. "No, I believe being a kidnapper would get me kicked off the football team." He tells us and I wince at the mention of that sport of injury.

My brother played football, it was the cool thing to do, but he once got hit in the head too hard and received a concussion. I had to baby him for two weeks until the doctor said he was okay and could start playing again. The only reasons I went to the games after that was because I was afraid he'd get hurt and no one would be there to help him.

Chloe notices my discomfort at the subject and quickly attempts to shift the direction of the conversation. "Do you play a lot of sports?" He nods as he signals his change of lanes and quickly glides into the lane closer to the middle of the road.

"I play baseball and basketball too." He tells us and Chloe nods. What do you know? The wannabe bad boy is actually a full fledged star athlete. I think with a small smile to myself as I stare out the window. I bet this boy doesn't have a bad bone in his body, he's probably just like Logan and his friends.