CHAPTER 18

Jacob dropped me at his doorstep. He went inside the dark and phased back to his human form. He kissed me at my forehead.

“Go inside and have your dinner”, he said and turned to go. But suddenly, he turned towards me like something reminded him and said, “Don’t go anywhere, not even to your house. I want you to stay here until I come back”, he said.

“Okay”, I said blankly.

“Okay. Then don’t wait for me. I’ll be late tonight. Love you. Bye”, he said as he already ignited his truck. He disappeared into the dark empty road within no time. I turned towards the door and it was locked. Billy used to keep the key under the door mat.

I took the key, opened the door and went inside. Billy had already finished his dinner and he had kept me some on the oven. Where he could have been, I thought. I ate the mushrooms he had cooked for me and switched on the television. There was nothing interesting on it and so I turned it off.

I lay down on the couch as I thought about today’s evening. I still couldn't believe what had happened. Then I remembered the sudden tense on his face when he answered the phone. I don’t know what Jacob’s hiding from me but I definitely knew that there’s something wrong. I could tell this from the panic he had on his face and he was in a hurry.

I called to his phone but he didn't answer. I left him a message.

“I don’t feel sleepy, Jake. I’m waiting for you. Even if I’m asleep, wake me up when you return. Be at home soon. Love you”, I disconnected.

I heard some footsteps around the house and the bell rang in a second. I ran to the door thinking that it’s Jake. 

But it was Leah.

“Hey, you are here. How are you?”, she asked.

“I’m fine Leah, how are you?”, I replied her.

“Yeah, everyone’s good. Where’s Billy?”, she asked looking inside the house.

“He’s in same place. I thought you would be there too”, I said quiet confused as Jacob told me that Leah and Seth had a problem.

“Yeah, Sam called me in the evening. But I couldn't answer it. And he didn't answer when I called back. I thought Jacob would know why he called and so I came looking for him”, she said.

Jacob lied to me. There’s nothing between Seth and Leah. There’s something he’s keeping from me. So the phone call wasn't from Seth. It’s from someone else.

“Okay, I’ll see them there, have a good night”, she greeted me and before I could ask anything…  

She left leaving the doors open.