Chapter 20: Deception

Roth landed in the field as a cloud passed in front of the full moon and obliterated most of the light. He waited, growing impatient. Finally, another large bird landed; a vulture. He shifted and the vulture shifted. Standing face-to-face, ten feet apart, they appraised each other. He demanded, "Why did you want to meet?"

"I want to know your intention toward my daughter."

"I have no intention other than to protect her."

"Hmm. So she's important because your successful completion of this mission will elevate you to the rank of Shapeling Master?"

"Precisely. How do you know that?"

Stella ignored his question. "You're lying. I've seen the way you look at her."

"You're talking nonsense."

"Really? Is that why you both almost combust whenever you're near each other."

"Stella, you need to control your imagination. Now what is the purpose of this meeting?"

"I already told you. I want to know your intention toward my daughter."

"Is it because of your great love for her?"

Stella shrugged. "I have my reasons." She turned and walked farther into the field.

Roth called, "What's this meeting really about, Stella?" A sudden chill raced up his spine.

Stella turned and grinned. "It's too late, Roth. She's gone."

"NO!" He shifted and flew toward the house.

***

Rainey heard a knock on her door and set the shifter romance book aside. Pulling on her robe she walked to the door and asked, "Who is it?"

"It's Beth, sweetie."

Rainey opened the door. "Is everything okay? Where's my guard?"

"Oh, I saw him talking to Roth on the terrace." She shook her head. "You know how these bodyguards are, everything's a secret, and everything must be reported. An ant probably crawled across the carpet." She laughed. "Anyway, the reason I'm here is because I need something from the cellar, and you know how terrified I am of going down there. I didn't want to disturb Mr. Beowolf or Mr. Jackson while they were talking. And I certainly don't want to knock on your parents' door. They haven't seen each other for months and I'm sure they're getting reacquainted, if you know what I mean." She winked. "Will you please grab another bag of baker's flour for me? Since I'm not sleepy, I thought I'd get a head start on tomorrow's pastries."

"You want to bake at this hour of the night?"

Beth grinned. "Rainey, I know you can't understand because you've never been bitten by the baking bug, but–"

Rainey laughed. "Okay, Beth, I'll be glad to get it for you."

"You're a love."

Rainey followed Beth to the kitchen and opened the cellar door. She flipped the light switch, but when it didn't turn on, she said, "Damn! The light must be burned out."

"Wait dear, I'll get the flashlight." Beth shuffled through a drawer and then handed Rainey a flashlight.

Switching the light on Rainey descended the stairs into the belly of the cellar. She walked to the shelving holding food staples and searched for the baker's flour. She spotted it and stretched upward just as a shadow jumped toward her. She opened her mouth to scream, but a foul smelling cloth suddenly covered her nose and mouth. A strange lethargy consumed first her body and then her mind and she fell like a rag doll into the arms of someone she couldn't see.

***

Roth streaked toward the house, landed on Rainey's balcony, and shifted. The double doors into her bedroom were unlocked and he rushed inside. She wasn't there. She wasn't in her bathroom, either. He jerked the main door open knowing Jack Jackson would also be gone. His heart pounded as he stalked down the stairs and he was just about to alert the household to Rainey's disappearance, when he remembered her escape route to the outdoors—the cellar. He rushed through the kitchen and into the cellar. Feeling for the light, he flipped it on and scanned the room below. A crumpled figure in a dark corner sent his heart reeling. He rushed over to where Jack lay on the ground. The smell of a sleeping potion permeated the air. He lifted the bodyguard over his shoulder and carried him to the library couch. Shaking him, he said, "Jack, wake up. Wake up. Tell me what happened."

Jack groaned and tried to focus. Roth grabbed a bottle of chilled water from the minibar fridge and splashed some on the groggy man's face.

Jack shuddered and finally focused on Roth.

"What happened?" Roth demanded.

"Cook came to Rainey's door... said she got something in her eye... asked me to look. Grabbed in a choke hold. Didn't see who. Very strong. Professional. Before I was drugged cook said..." He scrubbed a hand down his face.

"What? What did she say?"

"Didn't make sense, but she made me repeat it twice."

"Repeat what!"

"Tell Roth to go to...Cave of Thirteen."