Chapter 7: Finding Tahnoon

Roth eased back on a worn chair in the courtyard of the rental home and lifted his face to an Egyptian sun. Earlier that morning he'd slipped out while Rainey slept. After a few inquiries of people working the orchards, he'd located a wizened old beggar whom the natives said might know the whereabouts of the Bedouin tribe he sought. Physically, the old man appeared frail, but his eyes were vibrant and wise. After assessing Roth, he'd used his cane to draw a map in the sand showing a possible location for the tribe.

Roth enjoyed the sun on his face and listened to a slight breeze ruffling palm fronds. It was the kind of day he needed to accomplish his task, but only if he could safely leave Rainey. He could soar as an eagle and see for miles, and hopefully locate the Bedouins quickly.

Stretching and crossing his long legs, he rehashed the events of the previous night. After abruptly flying away from Rainey, he'd circled high above their rental until she'd returned to the house. Even now, he couldn't believe he'd wanted to reveal himself to her. Shaking his head at his lapse in judgment, he glanced across the courtyard, expecting her to appear shortly. Although she'd been up late—no telling how long it had taken her to fall asleep after the encounter with her eagle—it was now mid morning.

Absentmindedly, he drew designs in the sand with the heel of his boot and pondered his dilemma. He didn't want to leave Rainey for any extended length of time because of her tendency to find trouble. As her bodyguard, her safety depended on him night and day.

The squeak of the door drew his attention and the object of his pondering, wearing another version of bland slacks and prim white blouse, entered the courtyard. He could see the excitement in her eyes although she feigned a look of boredom. She yawned and sat in the chair beside him.

"Good morning to you, too, Sunshine," he greeted.

"Please stop calling me that. What are we doing for breakfast?"

"I thought we'd try out the kitchen. Cook something. You do know how to cook, don't you?"

"Not really."

"Are you telling me you've received the highest education possible, with enough diplomas to plaster a wall like wallpaper, and you can't cook?"

"I was too busy getting my diplomas to acquire that skill."

"Well, then, I guess it's about time you learned. We stocked up on supplies yesterday. How about something easy? You know, taking baby steps until you can grasp the complexity of the culinary art—what about toast?"

"Very funny. I think I'll watch your mastery of cooking. Now, to change the subject, remember when I asked if you knew anything about eagles?"

"Yes."

"Well, I want you to tell me everything you know?"

"And the reason is..."

Rainey flipped some imaginary specks off her slacks. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you, so I won't. Just tell me what you know."

"All right. Eagles are an endangered species. The bald eagle is the national symbol of the United States."

"I know that. Tell me something that most people don't know."

"Okay. Eagles tend to use the same nests every year. They have approximately 7,000 feathers. They can dive at around one hundred miles per hour. They fly alone at high altitudes. There are fifty-nine species. Bald eagles can actually swim. The largest eagle is the Great Harpy, with a wingspan of seven feet, and can weigh as much as twenty pounds. Eagles can spot prey two miles away. They do not eat dead things. The average lifespan of an eagle is about thirty years. They are diurnal, although sometimes they fly at night. How am I doing?"