Chapter 9: Adventure

Roth could feel Rainey's head lolling against his back, and since her hands had gone slack, he held both of them with one of his against his stomach. He'd actually felt bad about springing their caravan on her, but she'd given him no other option. If he'd told her beforehand, he would have had a spitfire on his hands. He smiled. For all her primness in dress, she was definitely a fiery woman. When his thoughts turned to the implications of that, he quickly suppressed them. He would not allow free rein to his imagination with her so tightly tucked against his body.

They had been traveling for about two hours and although it was hot, it was not dangerously so due to the spring season. Tahnoon halted his camel and their caravan began dismounting. When Roth's camel bowed to the ground, the movement jarred Rainey awake.

"Wh-what's happening?" She clutched his waist again.

"We're stopping to drink and rest." He dismounted and reached to lift her. She didn't fight him.

"Awgh," she said.

When she wobbled he held her shoulders to steady her. She glared at him and jerked away. Her action sent her unstable body pitching backward and he caught her by the waist before she landed on her rear in the sand. The veil covering her face slipped askew and one eye peeked through.

Reaching for the burqa, she jerked it off and said, "It's as hot as a frying pan out here!" She pushed his hands away from her waist and reached to lift the dress over her head.

"Don't," Roth warned, and grabbed her hands to stop her. "The dress is protection. And even though you're wearing street clothing underneath, it would be vulgar to remove it in the midst of these men. I'll give you some water to drink and bathe your face. Then put the burqa back on." He reached into the saddle pouch and pulled out two canteens, handing one to her. He took a long swig from his and glanced around for Tahnoon. "Stay here, Rainey." When she opened her mouth in what looked to become another harangue, he quickly walked away.

He approached the men and they parted to allow him access to their leader. Tahnoon said, "We'll set up temporary shelters, eat and rest, so we can travel longer. It will be cold tonight, so be prepared. Before darkness, we'll erect our tents. Tomorrow we'll rise at dawn and camp again at sundown. Dawn of the next day, I will lead you to the Sacred Cave."

Roth nodded his understanding and returned to Rainey, who was pouring water down the inside of her garment. She held the burqa in her free hand. He scowled. You're wasting water, which is never a good idea in the desert. Also, if you don't want to suffer sunstroke, I suggest you put the burqa back on."

"I'm slathered in sunscreen," she defied him.

Roth reached to grab the veil.

"Okay, okay." She jerked it over her head. "What are we doing now, besides baking in the sun?"

"The men are going to erect some temporary shelters so we can eat and rest. We'll continue when the weather cools. You'll be happy to know this is not the height of summer."

"I'll be happy when I'm back in the U.S., Mr. Beowolf."

"Someday, Ms. Childress, your mouth is going to get you into trouble." He stalked away to help the men erect the shelters.

***

Rainey sat under one of the simple lean-to tents and watched the Bedouins converse under the other two. Roth had given her some kind of dried cheese that he'd poured water over to create a soupy mixture, along with a piece of flat bread. She'd started to decline the food, but he'd grabbed her hands and made her take the unappetizing concoction. He'd admonished her to eat. The food sat untouched beside her. She removed her burqa again and pulled her knees to her chest, lowering her head to stare at the sand. A shadow fell across her and she looked up to see Roth. He lowered himself to sit beside her. Irritated, she scooted over.