Chapter 15: Setup

Roth opened the door to the hotel across the street, which caused a bell to tinkle, and slipped past the empty counter before the clerk had time to check out who had entered. In the hallway he bowed his head and prayed, shifting into a harmless spider. Scampering up the wall and following the line of the ceiling, he quickly reached his destination; a corner overlooking the counter. Patiently, he waited; hoping his plan to lure a snitch to the hotel would come to fruition.

Three hours later, while considering whether to leave his post long enough to check on Rainey, a balding, heavy-set, middle-aged man in a wrinkled suit approached the desk. From his vantage point, Roth observed the exchange between the clerk and the man.

"I'm looking for a couple; a man and a woman." The man surreptitiously palmed a large bill across the counter. The clerk reached and accepted the bill under his own palm, pulling it over the edge of the desk and into his pocket.

"And who might that be?" the clerk asked pleasantly.

"Here are a couple of drawings. I don't know the names they're using. I received word from my source that they checked into the hotel earlier today."

The clerk studied the pictures. "The man checked in. I didn't see a woman, but he rented a room for himself and his wife."

The man in the wrinkled suit palmed another bill.

"What room number would that be?"

The clerk scanned his register. "Fourth floor, room 29." He grinned and tucked the second bill into his pocket.

When the inquisitor turned to leave, Roth hastened across the ceiling and back into the hallway. While still on the ceiling he prayed and landed on his feet running. He ignored the clerk's surprise as he darted past the counter. At the front entrance, he caught sight of the man hailing a cab. A recess next to the building afforded him cover and he prayed again. Opening pigeon's wings he soared upward.

He followed the cab several miles before it pulled to the curb to release its passenger. His target entered an office building. Landing and shifting into his human form in the alley behind the building, he circled to the front and spied a directory. He scanned the list of occupants and grinned. Yep, I think I've found him.

Entering the building and taking the stairs two at a time to the second floor, he located the office number indicated on the directory and opened the door. A huge desk took up most of the space in the tiny room and the man who'd made inquiries at the hotel glanced up with a smile. His smile disappeared as he abruptly stood.

Roth said, "Looks like you've found me. Or is it the other way around?"

The man stuttered but nothing intelligible came forth.

With incredible speed, Roth rushed behind the desk and grabbed the overweight private detective's right arm, twisting it behind him. The man groaned and stopped struggling when Roth twisted higher.

"Do you feel like answering a few questions?" Roth asked with the same inflection he would use when inquiring about someone's day.

"Okay...yes," groaned the P.I.

He loosened his grip. "Who sent you to find me?"

"I don't know. I received a call on my cell phone."

"Okay, let me guess how things went down. The person's voice sounded electronic and after you agreed to accept the job, a courier brought money and pictures. The courier was a kid who made the drop and ran. Am I right?"

"Yes."

"If you found me, what were your instructions?"

"I didn't have any except to wait for another call."

"Okay, I'll tell you how this is gonna go down. Cooperate and you won't get hurt. Give me grief and we've got a problem. Get my drift?"

"Yes; whatever you want. I'm just a small-time detective trying to make a living."

"I kind of figured that. Here's the new plan. When you get your second call, you're going to play hardball and tell the caller you got the information, but you want more money; name a reasonable figure. After electro-voice agrees, you tell him/her you won't be in your office for a couple of hours because you're on another job. Next, you find a payphone and call the number I'm about to give you. Just leave a voicemail that you were contacted." Roth nodded toward the desk and the detective grabbed a pencil with his free hand to scribble the number on a pad.

Roth continued, "Then, for the remainder of the two hours, you pretend you're working a case. After that, you return to your office and wait for the drop. When electro-voice calls again for your info, tell him/her what the hotel clerk told you. Simple as that."

Incredulous, the P.I. said, "You want the caller to know your hotel information?"

Roth smiled slightly and left the office without answering.