Prologue

Roth captured the updraft with his wings, their seven foot span easily maneuvering the razor sharp crags of Ember Canyon. He changed direction and streaked toward the river, iridescent under a full moon. Diving low enough to feel the spray from rapids, he reveled in his mastery of shapeshifting.

Within minutes he would learn what the Thirteen co-Princes considered a worthy, decisive mission. For over two thousand cycles of the sun he had been a Shapeling Protector, but the successful completion of his next assignment would usher him into the ranks of Shapeling Master, the second highest honor among shapelings; and again, another round of undetermined sun cycles, with increasingly complex missions and the expectation of one day joining the co-Princes, leaders of all shapelings, would begin. He had no doubt about his abilities. He would not fail.

Roth soared high again, intent on reaching the Cave of Thirteen before sunrise. He arrived in record time. Gently landing and pulling his wings closed, he lowered his head and prayed to the Source, repeating the Prayer of Secrecy he had been taught as a child by his guide. Before the last word in the prayer had been uttered, he no longer had wings or talons; he now stood tall on two feet, his raven hair long and whipped by the wind. Pale blue eyes that observed everything stared upward in a gesture of respect for the Source. Wearing only white linen breeches he flexed and stretched his lean muscular form, feeling the rush that always accompanied a shift.

Shapelings, unlike humans, gave no consideration to their looks. Their focus rested in an elusive goal beyond shapeshifting—mastery of wisdom. Honing wisdom, however, presented a two-edged sword—becoming the creature while at the same time maintaining shapeling faculties of awareness. The difficulty in abating the thrill of becoming only the creature required intense practice and concentration over countless sun risings. As a Shapeling Master, Roth would receive increasingly complex assignments aimed at developing wisdom, and eventually, consistent evidence of wise choices would bestow upon him the title of Prince Thirteen, the title his father had been about to receive before his untimely death during Roth's childhood. Relentlessly, Roth pushed himself toward that goal for the sake of his heritage and envisioned his ultimate destiny, reigning as Prominent Prince as his ancestors before him.

He glanced at the glow in the eastern sky. Soon the edge of the sun would appear. He smiled and walked the short distance to the Cave of Thirteen. At the exact moment the sun made its appearance he stepped inside the cave lit by torches. Reverently, he approached the Thirteen and knelt, speaking the Prayer of Respect, "May the embers of truth always glow."

"Rise, Roth," commanded the Prominent Prince.

"Come closer," the remaining twelve voiced in unison.

Roth rose and took the few steps that brought him directly in line with the Prominent One.

"You have accomplished your latest mission, Roth. We congratulate you."

Roth nodded his respect. "Thank you, Prominent Prince."

Another voice spoke, "You are well aware, however, that this next assignment may usher you into the ranks of Mastery."

"Yes, Prince Two." Roth could not hide his grin.

"You have mastered all the creatures of your assignments..."

"Thank you, Prince Five."

"...except one."

Roth's smile faded. Out of respect he did not argue, but his mind raced to understand. He had shifted into a wolf, a lion, an eagle, a horse, an owl, a dolphin, a human, a dog, a tiger, a panther, and multiple others, including reptiles and insects. He had never failed an assignment. He did not understand.

The Prominent Prince spoke. "Although your assignments have been successful, we believe you have yet to acquire the full nuance of being human. This next mission will determine if you are ready to begin Missions of Mastery, so it requires you to again shift into a human."

"As you command. But may I ask in what way I fell short?"

"That is something you must discover on your own. We will speak no more about this."

"Yes, Prominent Prince." Roth waited for his instructions, quelling the disappointment and frustration trying to vent in his heart. He did not want this decisive mission to be as a human. He had protected and saved the lives of innumerable humans throughout his previous assignments as animals, and also completed many missions in human form; his last one being a Yankee soldier during the American Civil War. He had been sent there to protect a man whom the co-Princes believed would change the course of human history. On several occasions, Roth had deflected a bayonet intended for his ward, or pushed him out of the line of fire. He had also saved him from being trampled by a horse, and even gone so far as to befriend him. After the war, however, they had gone their separate ways and Roth had returned to the Cave of Thirteen for his next assignment.

Prince Thirteen spoke. "I will now reveal the details of this decisive mission..."