Chapter 5: Ultimatum

Rainey's mouth felt like cotton, her head ached, and the contents of her stomach threatened to erupt like a volcano. Underneath all the discomfort, however, she had a nagging sense of something not being right. Impressions gradually snapped into place like a jigsaw puzzle: a black SUV, their Hummer careening around a corner, Roth rolling from the car, whiskey burning her throat, Roth carrying her upstairs, and her pulling Roth's mouth to hers. Her eyes shot open. "No...no...no." Surely it had been a nightmare.

She moved her gaze around the room and saw her clothes lying on a chair. She touched her body and heaved a sigh of relief when she felt her camisole and slip.

A bold knock sounded at her door and she moaned, huddling under the covers. The door opened and Roth entered.

"Good morning, Sunshine; time to get up."

Rainey tried to speak, but only an unintelligible croak came out.

Roth stood over her holding a glass. "Here, drink this. It'll make you feel better."

"What is it?" she rasped.

"It's my own special concoction—doesn't taste too bad." He set the drink on the nightstand and began gently pulling her up, squishing pillows behind her head and shoulders

"Ouch. My head is splitting."

"Trust me. You'll feel better after you drink this."

"How do I know you're not trying to poison me?" Her attempt at a joke fell flat.

"Maybe because I possibly saved your life yesterday."

"You're no fun."

Roth held the glass to her lips and tilted it.

"That's disgusting!"

"Yeah? Well, have another sip." He held the drink to her mouth again.

"Please, take it away," she begged after a big gulp.

He set the drink on her nightstand and sat on the side of her bed, watching her.

Rainey closed her eyes and willed her stomach to stop roiling. After a time, he asked, "Feeling better?"

Just on the brink of dozing, his question brought her back to reality. She shifted and felt the sheet slip to her waist. Quickly pulling it to her chin she realized that, indeed, she did feel better. She opened her eyes and blinked.

"I thought so," he said.

"You can leave now."

"First, we have things to discuss."

"What could we possibly have to talk about? You're the hero; the man of the hour. Everyone's in love with you. I do thank you for what you did, but now can we go on with our lives?"

"Oh, we're going to go on; just not in the same way."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Do you remember I told you it was time for a vacation?"

"No way!" Rainey's outburst caused her head to explode and she jammed her hands over her temples.

"Yep. It's all set. We depart tonight. Just pack one suitcase of casual clothing. We're leaving at seven." Roth stood.

Rainey sat straight up and the sheet fell away again. Regardless of her pounding head, she said, "Absolutely not! I am not leaving my work! You and my father are not going to bulldoze me into this. I refuse–"