Chapter 10

Chapter 10

“Wow.” Nate shook his head and looked at her. “Why didn’t you tell me? I told you my biggest secret. I told you because we’re best friends and we trust each other.” He was hurt she hadn’t come to him sooner.

“I didn’t tell you because I don’t trust you, I didn’t tell you because I was trying to forget the past and I was trying to pretend she wasn’t mine. I never wanted any of this but she’s here and my mom doesn’t want to pretend anymore. So I’m taking care of her and to be honest I don’t want her being brainwashed in that house anyway.” She poured her heart out to him as best she could, she was sick of crying but the tears wouldn’t stop rolling down her cheeks.

“It’s ok.” Nate rubbed his hand over her arm. “So Jensen huh?”

It sounded so crazy that she had to laugh. “I never went home last night, you know I hate being there and I convinced Jensen to take me to his place for a moment so I could think.” As much as she loved Nate she couldn’t tell him about her drug use. “His mom showed up faster then we thought and I ended up spending the night. I didn’t know he can be really sweet.”

“He likes to hide that from people so they don’t think he’s weak. Of all the people…..”

“I know, I never let on that we weren’t a real couple. Jensen barely sees me as a friend, he’d never be interested in me.” she knew because of her demons he’d never look at her that way, she reminded him too much of his father and his loss. “He’s a good guy and what I saw for sure every time we spoke he loves you. He won’t judge Nate, you should tell him.” Jensen was an outcast in his own right; she knew he’d never judge his cousin for being different.

“I’m not ready.” Nat confessed weakly.

Maryanne returned his comfort and held his hand. “It’s ok.” She wasn’t ready to admit her darkest secrets and she couldn’t force him too.

He turned and looked at her, his eyes painfully serious. “Now what?”

“I have no idea. Instead of worrying about tests and stupid high school stuff I have a daughter to take care of and you have to hide your sexuality.” It sounded like a bad soap opera but this was their lives, their little private hell.

“Mine’s not as bad compared to yours. You know she does look a lot like you except for the brown eyes.” He turned his attention to the backseat and handled her one of her toys.

Maryanne flinched at the mention of the feature Annalise inherited from her father. “Let’s go do something. I broke the rules by leaving the house and I can’t go back there yet.”

“It’s a beautiful Saturday, let’s hit the town.”

Jensen was putting the final touch to a blue butterfly tattoo that afternoon when Miles called out his name. “Yeah?”

“Some fine young people here to see you.”

Jensen turned and spotted Nate and Maryanne. “What are you doing here? Twice in one week you’re spoiling me.” he turned his attention back to the girl’s arm.

“We decided to hit the town and live it up.”

“A tattoo shop, wow really living it up.” he put the needled gun down and cleaned up the area of skin. “All done.” He told with a grin, he had been enjoying her company.

The girl, Theresa, smiled and kissed his cheek. “Have you thought about tomorrow?”

“My mom is roping me into some plans I can’t get out of.” he broke that bit of news sadly. He would much rather go out with her then cook his mother dinner that was for damn sure.

“What about tonight?” she asked seductively, not caring for the people next to them.

“He’s busy tonight too.” Maryanne added.

Jensen looked up from his seat into her blue eyes. “I am?”

“Yup, that’s why we’re here to remind you of the plans we made last night at dinner, remember?” it was a load of bullshit but she was playing it right.

Jensen didn’t know what the hell was going on but it was best to ask when the three of them were alone. “Right, I remember now.” he turned back to beautiful busty Theresa. “I seem to be a busy guy.”

“Your loss.” She kissed his cheek again and left his work station.

Jensen watched her walk away and groaned. “You better have a good reason for making me turn that down. I haven’t gone on a decent date in months.” It was part joking, he had to work all night, really time no time for a date.

“We don’t,” Nate answered. “We’re bored and taking you down with us.”

“That’s cold blooded Nathan.” Jensen played it serious by using his full name. He looked from Nate to Maryanne then down to what her hand was holding; a car seat with a beautiful girl inside who was holding her foot to her mouth with a big smile. “Who’s this little heart breaker?”

“Annalise.” Maryanne answered softly and hesitated at the next part then whispered, “She’s my daughter.”

Jensen’s head shot up from where he had been looking at the baby, he noticed how Nate was rubbing Maryanne’s shoulder. “You two?”

“No, learn some math.” Nate answered. “The baby just turned a year old, Maryanne had her before her family moved here.”

Jensen started to think, a pastime he wasn’t a fan of because thinking lead to questions and there were never any answers. Maryanne had been terrified last night at the thought of sharing the bed with him, he knew there was no way she was faking that. Could it be she was freaked out because she wasn’t comfortable with him as a person? “Oh, well she’s adorable.” The kid was a looker and could wrap anyone around her tiny little hand with that smile of hers. “I get that you wanted to pull me down into your boredom but I’m stuck here to eleven anyway. Is Aunt Carol forcing some stupid event on you?” he asked while he cleaned up his work station.

“Not yet.” Nate said. “If she finds out we have nothing to do I’m sure she’ll decide to do early Christmas wrapping or something.”

Jensen threw empty needle wrappers and color caps into the trash then faced the duo, well trio. He looked at Maryann, she was avoiding eye contact and looked like she wanted to get out of there. This bothered him, they had gotten along so well that morning and now she was acting like he was scum. “Call up your awesome jock friends and see what they’re up to.”

“I know it’s your break, come on.” Nate was pushing him.

“Why does this feel like you’re trying to lead me to a plank where I’m going to meet my death?” He kneeled down and grabbed the shoe Annalise managed to get off and throw to the floor. “Alright, I’ll go out with you guys but only because I like the kid.” He put her shoe back on and tied it double. “See if you can get that undone.” He stood up and noticed Maryanne staring at him funny, he couldn’t make out what her expression meant. He turned to Nate. “You’re buying, right?”