Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Maryanne had to listen to her father yell for an hour about how she should’ve called earlier or found a way to come home, it was irresponsible for her to be out all night. “I’ll be at the church working on tomorrow’s sermon; I don’t want you leaving this house.” He told her tightly as he walked out of the front door.

Maryanne turned to her mother who had watched the whole thing from the hallway. “You heard the man. There’s more then enough stuff in this house that needs doing, you don’t need to go out.”

“Yes mother.” she walked away in hopes to lock herself away until it was Monday and she had to go to school. Her room was nice and clean when she stepped inside, she knew her mother had come snooping and used cleaning as a disguise. There was nothing to find so she didn’t care. She put her shoes away and gathered some clothes for a shower.

As the shower head ran she set up her supplies for a hit of her favorite medicine. She had skipped using this morning because Jensen had been so sweet the night before and she didn’t want him to know if she used before they went out to breakfast, she didn’t want him to feel sorry for her again and offer help she wasn’t capable of taking.

She smiled sadly as she thought about him. She never would’ve guessed Jensen was such a nice and caring guy. Nate had told her his cousin was funny but today had been too much, her ribs still hurt from how he made her laugh.

Nate…

She reached for her bag again and took out her cellphone. Three rings later he answered. “Are you still asleep?” she asked.

“No.”

“Liar. I need to talk to you.”

“Then come over.”

“I can’t, my dad has me on house arrest. I never came home last night, that’s what I want to talk about.”  She was careful to be quiet but she was also anxious to tell someone and who better then her best friend?

“Ok I’ll come over then, is that ok?”

“It’s just my mom, she shouldn’t care too much.”

“Alright, I’ll be there after I get ready.”

Maryanne knew that would be at least an hour if not more, it took Nate more time to get ready then she as a girl did. After finishing with her supplies she carefully put everything away and waiting there a moment to let the effects set in before she took her shower.

As she left the bathroom she heard the baby crying from down the hall. “Mom! Annalise is crying!” Maryanne began to shake as the cries grew louder and her mother was nowhere to be found. She dumped all her things in her room then went two doors down to the baby room.

Annalise was a year old and standing in her crib, her face red and wet from tears.

Maryanne started to cry herself as she got closer. “What’s wrong? I can’t find mom and I have no idea what to do with you.” seeing this child’s face brought on a wave of pain no drug could dull.  “Please stop crying.” She got close enough to see the baby’s features, her chubby cheeks and brown eyes. Maryanne turned away and ran out of the room. “Mom!” her mother always took care of the baby, why the hell would she leave without saying something? She must be outside or something, right?

Desperate, Maryanne ran outside to look but her mother’s car was gone too. “Damn it.” she cursed as she ran back inside and back to the baby’s room. Annalise was still crying. “You don’t want me picking you up. I’m a screw up and you don’t want me….” she stepped forward, her heart not allowing her to turn away and deny the child. She reached forward and lifted Annalise from the crib.

Maryanne sank to the floor with Annalise on her chest and together they cried.

Annalise stopped first and placed her little feet on her lap to stand. She cupped her hands around Maryanne’s face. “Mama.”

“No.” her tears fell harder. “Mom’s not here for some stupid reason.”

Anna smiled showing a few front teeth. “Mama.”

“Why are you calling me that? Why can’t I just leave you alone to cry and forget you exist? I love you but I know I don’t show it. I’m scared.” She ran her hand down the baby’s face causing her to laugh. Maryanne’s heart tightened with so much regret. Her whole life consisted of regret.

She heard the front door open, holding onto Anna she jumped from the floor. Sure enough her mother was just arriving. “Where have you been?”

“I went out for some milk and bread, oh you’re holding the baby!”

Maryanne winced. “Why didn’t you tell me, why didn’t you take her with you? Why is she calling me mama?” at the sound of the familiar word Annalise grabbed her face again.

“I didn’t take her because you are here and capable and she is calling you mama because you are her mother. I show her pictures of you all the time since you’re busy with school. A child should know its mother.” Mrs. Hale said with a simple shrug of her shoulders and continued into the kitchen.

“No! When you forced me to keep her we agreed you and dad would raise her as your own.” She was panicking and felt her whole world spin. 

“That doesn’t work for us anymore. She is your daughter and your reasonability.”

Maryanne felt as if someone kicked the wind out of her. “You know I can’t handle it.”

“You were mature enough to have sex then you’re mature enough to handle her.”

“Mom.” She gasped painfully and turned away as more tears fell from her eyes. “You never believe me. It wasn’t sex---”

“No! Don’t you dare say those horrible things in front of her. Your father has a lot of work at the church and I have to help him. You have to take care of her, that’s final.” She replied tightly, she didn’t lose her temper often but when she did there was no changing her mind.

“I need to get out of here.” The pain made her feel sick, she couldn’t breathe is she stayed here a minute longer.

“You heard what your father said.”

“I don’t care.” She left the kitchen with Annalise still in her arms. “Ok kid I’m trying here but…” she locked herself in her bedroom and sank on the floor again. “I hate them so much. I don’t want you to hate me…I can fix this.” she rambled her thoughts out loud as she tried to think. “I don’t know anything right now but I do know I have to get out of here before I do something stupid.” She sat Anna on the floor and went to her closet to get changed into something ideal for outside. Once she was ready she grabbed Anna and went to the nursery.

After dressing the baby she grabbed enough supplies to last the next few hours. Strapped in her car seat she was all smiles.

“Maryanne don’t disobey your father, god will punish you.”

“He already has.” She walked out the front door to her car. She drowned out her mother’s endless rants as she got Annalise secure in the backseat. She drove away from the house and called Nate. “Are you still home because I’m not.”

“What’s wrong?”

“A whole lot. I wanted to tell you something stupid earlier but now I have something pretty serious to say. Meet me outside your house.” If there was anyone she was going to tell the truth it’d be Nate. He had been her rock since they moved to this place. He didn’t know why she would break down crying but he was always there to catch her.

Nate was standing on his porch waiting when she pulled up. He jogged down the walkway and hoped inside the passenger seat. He noticed in the backseat they weren’t alone. “Your mom forcing you to baby-sit your sister?” he had been around the house enough to know of Annalise.

“I want to tell you the truth and I’ve gone over this in my head a few times and the best way seems to do it quick like a band aid so here goes; Anna isn’t my sister she’s my daughter. I can’t get into the hows and whys yet and I know you’ll respect me enough not to ask. And finally I think I have a crush on Jensen.”