Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Maryanne jumped from her seat on the couch when she heard the car pull into the driveway. She listened with her heart in her throat as the car door slammed and Jensen made his way up the porch. The keys jingled before being slipped into the lock and turning. She was filled with relief when her eyes landed on Jensen and that feeling quickly turned into shock when she saw Nate was right beside him. Seeing his face and caring brown eyes she ran right into his arms. “What are you doing here?” she asked her best friend. She didn’t realize how much she missed him until right now holding onto him like a rock.

Jensen answered, “I told him you’ve been having some trouble at home and it’d help if he was here.” He would never tell her secrets for her.

She gave him the best smile she could muster up with her nerves fried. “Thanks.”

Nate peered down at her face as they stood still entangled in their hug. “What’s going on?”

Her heart tightened with the need to tell him everything, both of them. Except she didn’t know how to voice that she had been getting raped since she was fourteen and got pregnant with Annalise which in her own special way was a blessing. When Maryanne’s parents found out she was going to have a baby they packed up and moved before the town could cast shame on them. That move allowed her to escape Danny…until now. She was terrified about what came next. She knew first hand how ruthless Danny could be.

She didn’t doubt he had told her parents the truth and now they were probably on his side. She had tried so many times to get them to believe her and yet it was easier for them to accept their daughter was fast instead of abused. So many times she told them she had been raped and so many times they didn’t believe her. It was probably a mistake but she had never told them was Danny when she pleaded for their belief and now with him spewing lies they’d be more inclined to believe the golden boy.

She was saved from having to lie to their faces when Annalise began to cry. “Let me go check on her.” She offered a weak smile and dashed to the bedroom. She knew she was going to have to tell them something, they wouldn’t drop the subject and they deserved some truth but what? What the hell could she tell them that would make any bit of sense without all the other pieces?

She picked up Annalise from the bed she had been asleep on, there were mountains of pillows on each side just in case she moved in her sleep. “What’s wrong baby?” she held her close and tried to sooth away her tears. Babies were very smart in their own way and she probably knew they were away from home and tomorrow was uncertain.  

She carried the baby back with her to the living room.

“Someone wanted to join the excitement huh?” Jensen said as he reached for Annabel after she held out her hands. Already the baby was smitten with his charm; Maryanne couldn’t blame her for that. It was very easy to like Jensen.

Maryanne joined Nate on the couch as Jensen and Anna played on the floor with her favorite blue ball. “Are you going to crash here tonight?” Nate asked.

She nodded. “I can’t go home and face that mess again with my parents and….” With a big sigh she made up her mind to admit something of the truth, Jensen and Nate had already proven over and over she could trust them. “…Anna’s father is in town and he wants to take her from me.”

Jensen looked up from the floor wearing a look of anger. “And your parents are on his side?” he guessed correctly.

“They think we should do the right thing and get married.”

“What?” Nate exclaimed. “They think marrying some guy you don’t want to be with is the right thing?” little did he know it wasn’t even the lack of love that was the biggest problem with her parent’s train of thought.

“I’ve given this a lot of thought and I have to leave home.” There was no way she could ever go back and pretend for another second that life was all right while she was drowning every second of the day. She looked at Jensen. “I was hoping Anna and I could crash here until I make better plans.”

He nodded and continued to play with the one year old. “Of course.”

“Is there anything else we can do?” Nate asked, grabbing her hand and holding on tight.

“No. I don’t want you to get into any trouble because of me, either of you. It’s a school night and you need your beauty rest.” She squeezed his hand and let go. “I’ll be fine.”

He leaned in and kissed her cheek. “I’ll swing by tomorrow and check in with you.” He stood from the couch. “Do you need a ride?” he asked his cousin.

“Nah, you go ahead I’m pretty enough without the extra sleep.” He chuckled and rolled the ball back to Annalise.

With a roll of his eyes Nate said his goodbyes and left the cabin.

Maryanne watched the little game of ball a moment before voicing her thoughts. “You don’t have to worry about me either. I don’t have anything I can get high with and I need to save every penny I have now anyway.” She wasn’t naïve, she knew it took a lot to live on her own and provide for a child. It wasn’t going to be easy but it was going to be much safer than staying at home where Danny could show up any moment.

“I’m not comfortable leaving you here alone.”

“Why?” she grinned and took a page from his book. “Are you scared I’m going to steal the good stuff?”

“If you can find any go right ahead.” He lifted Anna and sat her next to her mother, it was nearing midnight and it didn’t take much to get the little girl tired. “I know you’re scared and you shouldn’t be alone.”

She wanted to tell him she was fine again and that she could handle the weight of the world on her shoulder except that wasn’t the truth. She wasn’t fine, she was scared, and she did want him to stay and protect her from all the nightmares bound to come and all the evil lurking close in the shadows.

She ran her hand over Anna’s soft curls as the little girl laid her head down upon her lap. “It’s your place and if you want to stay its up to you.” She didn’t know how to voice how she needed him. The prospect of telling him exactly how she felt only to be regretted was another terror in itself. “I’m gonna lay her back down.”

In the bedroom she used an extra minute to compose her nerves. Jensen had already seen her in her worst light and they had already shared the same sleeping corridors twice before. This was no big deal and the nerves riding her system were just probably from all the stress of the last twenty hour hours.

“Are you going to school tomorrow?” he asked as they sat together on the couch.

“No I don’t want to risk leaving Annalise with anyone. Nate mentioned before his mom probably wouldn’t mind watching her but I just want to keep her close.”

“You’re scared he’s going to find her.” Jensen again guessed correctly. “What’s the story with this guy? Could he hurt Annalise?” the thought left his eyes hard with anger.

“I don’t want to risk it.” She looked away from his intense gaze and focused on a loose string on her skirt. “I know you’re probably tired. I can go and let you get some rest.”

He grabbed ahold of her wrist before she could stand. Whatever he was going to say died around the sigh he let out, they were staring at each other unable to say what was on their mind. She wondered what could render Jensen speechless. His hand moved up her forearm and tugged her closer. “I want to kiss you.” He whispered against her cheek a minute later.

Her heart raced like a jackhammer pounding on her ribcage. With every inhale she smelled whatever cologne or soap he was wearing and it left her dizzy with contentment. Her hand moved up to his shoulder where she held on and let herself live this moment. She turned first, laying her lips over his with the silent permission he had been begging for to make the next move.

He was warm and solid, everything about him was comforting and as he kissed her that comfort shifted into a bursting desire she didn’t know how to shut out.

She gripped the front of his shirt and kissed him back, their lips molding and moving in sync as his tongue explored her mouth slowly. In his arms and with his kiss and felt something much better than any high the drugs had given her. She didn’t remember all the bad or fear tomorrow.