Chapter 25

Chapter 25

A year later

Maryanne stood alone in the cemetery. A year later and she still couldn’t believe her eyes when they landed on the gravestone. So much had happened to get to this point and so much had happened since that faithful night. For so long Maryanne believed the tragic moments or the happy ones defined her life but it wasn’t until that gunshot rang off that she saw clearly it was the most defining moment her life would ever have.

She no longer lived in fear….

Danny couldn’t hurt another soul….

Annalise would always be safe from his evil ways….

Those were the things Maryanne reminded herself of nightly and they brought a smile to her face. There was nothing like feeling safe. It was a feeling many took for granted and one she cherished deep in her bones.

When she couldn’t believe it she came to this very spot to make sure it wasn’t a dream. Danny was dead and he was buried beneath the ground she stood.

Life was looking up. Maryanne’s parents tried a little more each day and the trust started to build, they spoke rather than fought and play indifference. A few months ago she moved back into the restored house with them. The layout was the same, the address was the same, but the home was different. It was if somehow the fire purified all the hate that used to live there. All the lies and hurtful memories didn’t bounce off the walls when she stood inside the rooms.

She stared at the gravestone for a moment longer before turning and leaving. There was a very important date she had to get to.

Nate was huddled in his coat waiting outside his house when she pulled up. “I’m going to catch pneumonia out here.”

“Why didn’t you wait inside? I wouldn’t called when I pulled up or honked the horn.” Maryanne laughed at his red nose and frozen cheeks. The winter was anything but kind to them this year.

“My mom would’ve asked too many questions. Since my folks know we’re not ‘together’ anymore they’ve been trying to set me up.” Nate answered after he was in the car and the heat was on full blast.

“Have you picked the day you’re going to tell them the truth?”

“I have and it’s going to be the morning before I go off to live on campus. That way if they freak and don’t want a gay son I have my escape all planned.”

“I think you’re being hard on them. You didn’t think Jensen and your aunt would be supportive but they didn’t care who you want to be with.” Her heart did an involuntary jump at the mention of Jensen. Oh, how much she missed him…

“I don’t think my dad will freak too much but my mom is a different story. I know her and I know how she lives to fit into society’s image of perfect.” Nate didn’t speak with any anger. He accepted the realities of his situation a long time ago probably before he understood what they even meant.

“Where does your mom think you’re going tonight?”

“I gave her some version of the truth; you and I are going to dinner and the movies. You are welcome to join us by the way.”

“And be the third wheel on your hot date? I don’t think so. I don’t think Patrick would forgive me if I did that. He’s been pretty excited to have you all to himself.” She glanced at her best friend just in time to see him blush. “I’ll go home like a boring old maid and when you’re ready to go home call me.” She agreed to be his cab driver to avoid any complicated questions from his mother.