Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Jensen got a moment to talk to his mom alone while his aunt had everyone else set up the table. “So we’re still here, you must like him.” he said with a shrug, he didn’t mind if she did or didn’t.

She blushed. “He’s ok, how are the kids?”

“Ok, Jasmine likes my tats. Don’t use me as an excuse; if he asks you out go for it. You deserve to be happy.” He knew for a fact she turned down dates in the past because she didn’t want him to have to get used to someone new in their life. He went through a period where he lashed out and got into trouble, who would want to deal with that? Thankfully now he was better and mature.

She thought that over. “We’ll see. I’m starving.” She left to the dining room.

“Don’t eat too much; stuffing your face might turn him off. Or maybe it’ll turn him on.”

She doubled back and slapped his shoulder. Jensen laughed and followed her. He knew she didn’t take anything he joked about seriously and he loved that about her and the fact it made her smile. She had spent too many years sad over his father and then over his death. It was time she lived a little, smiled and let go of the guilt. Jensen didn’t blame her for his upbringing and his mistakes, she had did the best she could.

At the dinner table he ended up again sitting at Maryanne’s right, he didn’t intend for it but that just happened to be the last seat left and to be honest he’d rather sit around her and Nate then some strangers.

His mind thought of Nate as he ate his aunt’s lasagna. It really didn’t seem like he knew of Maryanne’s dark secret, it didn’t mean anything though. He didn’t know until he saw it with his own eyes and even then he wasn’t sure such a thing could be true. She was a master at hiding it in plain sight.

He looked around the table and mindlessly watched while the parents all made small talk and the teenagers ignored them.

Maryanne finished first, not a surprise since she didn’t have much in the first place. “Excuse me, I’m going to go check in with my parents.” She smiled politely and left the table.

Jensen grew suspicious and finished the last of his piece. “I’m done too; let me get out of your hair so you can all eat in peace. Don’t worry Aunt Carol I won’t steal any of the good stuff.” It was just too easy not to say something stupid around them because they took it so seriously it was worth the laugh.

He left through the living room back out to the patio. At first glance he didn’t see Maryanne and thought maybe she decided to say in the house. He looked a little more then decided to go check out his cousin’s room, she’d feel comfortable enough to go there.

He opened the door and stepped inside, again he didn’t see her but spotted the bathroom light on, like most houses in their town all bedrooms had bathrooms. He knew it was rude and an invasion of privacy but he wanted to know what she was doing.

This time the bathroom door was locked. “Maryanne?”

“Go away.” her voice was soft and void of any real feeling.

“Let me in, I want to talk to you and I won’t leave until you do.”

A moment later she opened the door and glared at him. “Why can’t you leave me alone?” she pulled him inside and shut the door again. “I wanted a moment to think if you must know.” She sat on the bathtub ledge.

He watched her and for the first time saw the signs she wasn’t who she appeared to be. Her hands were shaking, her eyes were distant. “Are you going through withdraw?” he had seen it enough time to recognize it. Maybe that’s why Nate didn’t realize something was wrong, he didn’t know the signs. Jensen rationalized that he and Maryanne weren’t friends; he didn’t see her all the time and therefore didn’t know she was screwed up. As her boyfriend Nate should see it.

She ran both her hands across her scalp. “Maybe.”

“This is really the wrong time for you to spaz out.” He thought of the crowd downstairs.

“I know that.” She kept her head low and avoided looking at him anymore.

Jensen hated himself for the thoughts he was having but facts were facts and he knew if she didn’t do something now she was going to have a horrible night and be forced to reveal her shame. “You look sick, come with me downstairs and I’ll offer to drive you home. I’m sure Randy would jump at the chance to give my mom a ride.”

She glanced up. “Why?”

“Don’t ask so many questions before I change my mind. You need a hit and right now as much as I hate it I’m going to help you get it.” he didn’t want her to go through withdraw this way unprepared and face the shakes, the sickness, the death that would take over her body. Again an image of his father flashed before his mind and how helpless he felt during those times.

He took her elbow and together they went back downstairs. He left her seated on the couch while he went back to the dining room and explained Maryanne was feeling sick and he was going to give her a ride home.

“Are you sure honey?” his mother asked.

“Yeah, you keep enjoying yourself and after I drop her off I’ll head home.” he smiled and knew he was a good liar, they’d eat this up.

“I hope it wasn’t my cooking.” Aunt Carol worried about.

“I don’t think it was.” He hugged his aunt goodbye and waved to his mom. “Remember use protection.” He needed one more parting line before he left.

Nate came over and said goodbye to Maryanne, hoping she’d feel better. Then he turned to his cousin. “Are you offering out of the goodness of your heart or just looking for any reason to get out of here?”

“A bit of both. I’ll talk to you later bro.” he made sure to close the door on their way out.

“They believed you?” Maryanne asked, sounding worried as he helped her to the car, she was now pale and ready to fall on her face.

“Of course, I know how to talk bullshit and that includes lying.” Once inside the car and driving away from the house. “Where to?”

“How much longer do you think the dinner will go on?”

“Carol will want to have dessert and since she is trying to set them up she’ll make excuses for coffee. Probably another hour or two, why?”

“Take me to your place.”

Jensen glanced at her and wondered if she was losing her mind or if the withdraw was frying her brain. “Why?”

“I need somewhere private. I would never use at Nate’s house and I don’t want to make a mistake of using somewhere else and someone walking in.” she explained tightly.

“Is that why you used at school, it got painful and you couldn’t wait?” he thought about taking her home, he knew she had to be using there but the drive was pretty far and he didn’t think she could wait that long. He noticed she was clutching her purse and probably had her supplies inside of it. He didn’t want to risk her shooting up in the car and a cop catching them.

“Yes.”

“All right my place is a few minutes from here.” His chest tightened knowing this was a mistake but the question was just how much was it going to bite him in the ass? He glanced at her again and knew there weren’t many options to choose from, he got involved and now he had to help her.