Chapter 1

Chapter 1

It had been a regular boring day at school; Jensen as always couldn’t wait for it to be over. He’d rather have a tooth pulled then be at that hell of high school. His boring hellish day changed when he found Maryanne getting high, a needle sticking from her arm. The same Maryanne that was a cheerleader, Maryanne that seemed to have the perfect cliché life going on. Maryanne dating his cooler cousin.

Jensen and his cousin Nate were barely five months apart and had been going to the same school and grade all their life. As toddlers they had been close like brothers but when they became teenagers that all changed.

Nate was the traditional boy mother’s hoped their daughters brought home, he played sports, dressed nicely, kept his appearance neat and clean with his brown hair short, face shaved.

Jensen didn’t.

Jensen had long black hair down his shoulders, painted his nails, had tattoos his mother detested and that wasn’t all she hated about her only child. They called him a problem child, a rebel, a parent’s worse nightmare but he figured it wasn’t that bad. At least he kept to himself and didn’t ask anyone for anything.

Nate and Maryanne had been dating for a solid five months, everyone either envied them or loved them. It was sickening in Jensen’s opinion.  They were that couple he made fun of, it seemed like nothing could go wrong or that’s how they wanted it to seem.

Maryanne was on drugs, he couldn’t wrap his mind around that. Did Nate know, what he getting high too? Jensen shook his head and decided he needed answers.

“Jensen!”

He stopped walking down the sidewalk and turned to find her running after him. This should be interesting, he thought. “What?”

Maryanne stopped in all her glory. She was tall for a girl at five eight, she showed off her long legs in different shorts and skirts, today she wore a white pair of shorts. What she did over all the time where her arms, small shirt, big shirt, whatever it had sleeves. Now Jensen knew why.  

Her blue eyes were wide with fear or maybe that was the high. “You got it wrong.” She said quickly.

Jensen though back to all the times he had seen her and not once had he thought something was wrong in her pretty little life. She didn’t even seem high now, just worried. Could someone really hide it that well? The answer had to be yes because he saw her shoot up. “How long have you been doing this? Does Nate know?”

“No one knows because there’s nothing to know.”

He scoffed. “So you weren’t just shooting something into your vein?” he asked softly with anger, he wasn’t a fool no matter how she tried to spin it.

Her eyes glossed. “You can’t tell anyone.”

“Tell me the truth, does Nate know? Is he doing this shit with you?”

“No, I swear. He doesn’t know, no one in this damn town knows and you can’t tell them.”

“Why the hell are you doing this at school in the bathroom?” He asked. Their school had three floors and the first floor bathroom was coed. He never expected to see her there and she probably didn’t expect to see anyone either. They stared at each other, she said nothing. “I gotta get home.”

“Jensen, wait please?”

He turned and waited for her to spit it out. It wasn’t that he didn’t like her, she was an ok enough girl, and Nate adored her. No matter how he and his cousin drifted apart he still loved him and didn’t want him to find trouble. “What?”