Chapter Three- The New Queen

The light pored into my room the next day. It was dawn, and shadows where everywhere in my room. The events of last night were swirling in my head, and the beast's blood was still on my dress and sword. I sighed, changed into my favorite outfit; a short black dress with black tights and black boots. I placed the necklace given to me by my mother on, and looked at the dark mark that hanged on on my throat. I pulled the sleeves over my birth marks and brushed my hair. When I was done- and this time I made sure to have my sword and knife in the the right place- I walked into the kitchen.

Servants were shuffling all over cleaning up from last night's ball. Today they would have to prepare for the feast in honor of Gween. A great sadness was in the air of the warm room. It seemed to be in all the rooms of the palace, and no one seemed to be able to avoid it. The air of the castle seemed to upset me more, so I went out to the garden. 

I have always loved this place in my home. No matter the season it was beautiful. In the spring the flowers were blooming in the different colors and the trees had new leaves. The air smelled of roses and tulips, and animals were crawling all around and bees were making honey. In the summer, the flowers were already brightly colored and the trees gave away its sweet fruit and nuts to all those who wanted them. The air smelled like my little sister with its cooked nuts and freshly made honey. Since this time is when her birth day occurs, it seemed fitting that this happened. Autumn brought forth reds and golds like no other. The animals were there, but they always were running around to get away from the up coming cold. The servants placed new blooms that could grow through winter and placed home grown herbs in the cellar. I have never settled on what the air was scented like in this season. Winter is my all time favorite season. It completely changed the garden. Blue and white covered the grass and trees. The branches were frozen in ice and shined like the one time a year occasion was always there; like the ice was apart of the tree. The garden was filled with children playing in the snow and others cuddling with lovers in the cold to keep warm. It was a magical time.

My thoughts were interrupted by a hand on my shoulder. I looked into the caring eyes of Tason. He looked sad and worried at the same time. He was upset that Gween was dead, but he was scared for me and what her death brought upon my shoulders.

"Lacondra," he stared, but stopped. The knight could not bring words that fit what he wished to tell me. 

"Don't you even try," I told him, more anger in my voice then I wanted. "I don't want any pity or worry from anyone."

"But I think you need someone here with you."

"Do you really think I need a guard? If so then go get Ty. If not, then I don't want you here."

"You don't need a guard, but you do need a friend. Besides, Ty is in with the Council at the moment." 

"The Council? Why would he be with them?" 

 "He is fighting for your crown, my queen." 

Tason's words shocked me. I forgot that now I would have to prove to the Council that I was going to be a good queen or not. They would ask Ty, Kelly, Tam, and my mother if I could handle the job. I'm sure that they would put in good word, but Tason and Ky would also have to do the same. Tason would, but Ky might not. She did not like me very much for where I was born. This would also be held against me, and I would not be able to help it. I did not want to lose this battle before it even began. I ran from Tason and to the Council hall. I threw open the door to see Ty bowing before the head of the Council if you do not count the light and dark queens. 

 All eyes fell on me as I walked to in the room without caring  about the words said. I heard the men and women whisper as I passed by, and my gaze fell on my mother who smiled at me.