Jane |E|

EDITED

Albert

Slap.

That's the first thing we heard when Evangeline and I entered my house. The sound of Ruby's palm connecting with my Dad's cheek causes us to turn to their direction. "Mrs. Ross?" I say. "What're you doing here? Why did you slap my Dad?"

Ruby didn't answer me, she took a glance at her daughter and waved hello before dismissing herself. "I was just about to leave," Ruby sneered, shooting daggers toward Dad.

"I'm sorry, Ruby - " Dad began but she put up a finger to stop him. A sign that she doesn't want to hear what he has to say.

"What did you do?" Evangeline asks, frowning. My eyes roam around from Ev to Ruby to Dad. Ev is frowning waiting for Dad to say something, Ruby is scowling and ready to walk out the door and Dad is giving Ruby an apologetic look filled with regret. He did something to make her slap him.

"I kissed Ruby," Dad muttered in shame like a little boy who has just been grounded for throwing a bouncy ball around the living room.

"You what!?" I shout, how could he be such a hypocrite!? He forbids me from seeing Ev and goes back around to plant a smooch on Ruby!? "What on Earth made you do that!? You tell me not to see Ev and then you kiss her mother!?"

"Fils," Dad sighs. "I didn't mean to do what I did, I love Ruby but I know she's with Eddie. She has her family and I have mine but - "

"But what?" I challenge.

"But I cannot deny the fact that I love her! I'm still in love with her, she's my true love, fils!" Dad claims, Ruby scowls and she wipes her mouth.

"You're such a hypocrite," I insult. "How could you have the balls to tell me not to be with Ev, yet, still kiss Ruby?"

"I forbade you from seeing Evangeline for many reasons, Fils! One of them being Jane!" Dad blurts, no longer looking sorrowful. "Would you like to do the honor and tell your beloved girlfriend what happened to Jane!? How she was murdered!?"