T H I R T Y - F I V E

"For every good reason there is to lie, there is a better reason to tell the truth."

-Xamdú

_________________________

Ake opened his eyes and noticed his surroundings were littered with his things. He sat up and blinked away the blurriness shrouding his eyes. Soon, he realized he was back in his room. It smelled of fire and burning wood throughout his room causing him to relax much more than he wanted to. The scent of burning wood had such the effect on dragons. The sight and feel of fires comforted them as well.

As he dragged a hand down his face, he sighed and lolled his head back against the head of the bed. His mind was filled with fog and he could hardly manage to keep his eyes open.

"Ake, you are awake, at last!" Ake heard the sound of Oraanu's voice as he rushed to his side.

It dawned on him, his wound. He checked his side and saw bandages wrapped around the side of him covering his entire lower torso. The pain came back the moment the realization came to him causing him to lean over and hiss. Karos, he thought. His heart hammered out of his chest in worry.

"He... You must check on him."

His voice was raw and strained. He had not known how long he had slept but it seemed as though it had been for more than two or three days.

"Ake—"

"Do not tell my father of this. You mustn't."

"I cannot promise you that."

"You must! My father will not... he will not have this. If he knows of my condition," Ake breathed through the pain. "He will not approve of things as they are."

Ake watched as Oraanu backed away from him, lips pursed.

"... Again, why are you being unreasonable?"

Ake grabbed onto his wrist before he could take another step from him.

"If you do not, I will," Ake warned.

Oraanu's eyes narrowed into tiny little slits as he huffed and turned his back to him.

"That is no ordinary wound, Ake. If it was one, you would not have been affected. It was obsidian. He could have killed you!"

"I am still alive, am I not? He means me no ill will. He—"

"As I am sure he had. I am sure that is what your past ancestor had thought when he laid dying in a pool of his own blood."

Ake held onto the side now pulsing with pain ignoring Oraanu's comment. Karos would never cause him intended harm. He would never. His grip tightened around his wound not wanting to breathe an ounce of truth to those words. Oraanu had never liked him.

"... I will do as you wish, however."

Ake's eyes widened.

"For you, because I know what he means to you. But after this no more."

"Thank you, Oraanu. Truly, I am in your greatest debt."

Oraanu showed him a small smile before bowing his head.

"Your question..."

Ake continued to look at him. 

"From before... " Oraanu mumbled. "The answer is yes. It... is something like that. The feelings that I feel... when I am with him."

Ake kept his gaze transfixed on him as a small smile formed on his lips. Before he could say anything in response, Oraanu rushed out the door causing Ake to smile more to himself. In all the centuries of knowing him, Ake had not ever seen him act in such a way. Maybe, just this once, he could believe in his words and entrust Karos' care to him. He leaned his head back against the bed as the pain resurfaced.