T W E N T Y - T H R E E

"What is love without its mercy? "

-Xamdú

_______________________________

Ake pressed his hand to the side of his face wanting to be done with this. His hand only pressed further onto his face as he felt a comb going through his hair. He had grown used to living without these kinds of luxuries. Baths, ribbons, festivals, music, dancing even. It mattered so little to him now.

He was adorned in a heavy, red silk with some gold and silver linings around the edges tied together by a sash. On the shoulders laid two golden seals of the Royal Line. The embroidery of two dragons was canvased across the entire of the robe as well. It served as a constant reminder of who Ake was and who he will become, which unnerved him.

Some time ago, he adored such gorgeous clothing. All the gold and shimmering jewels collected for millenniums embedded in the walls and marbled flooring once held his interest and gaze, but now, all it does is fall and withers. Dragons were fond of such beautiful things.

After another moment, he raised his hand and shooed the woman away. Her black hair fell down to her back as she unpinned her own and continued to sit beside him.

"Enough. I am done with this."

"Ake, you must let me do your-"

"It is fine down. It has been down for weeks. A full Ylano. Leave it be."

She gave him a nod before narrowing her eyes to the floor.

He knew his behavior was rather strange to them. He had always liked for his hair to be combed and to be bathed in a bath full of rose petals. Ake smiled then. He was quite self-centered then.

Soon, she went on and latched an earring onto his right ear that dangled and sparkled under the rays of sunlight entering into the window. Green gems, emeralds, shined causing his heart to swell and Eria's eyes to grow more worrisome.

"Too much time below, too much time in your form as a dragon seems to have taken a toll on you."

Ake pressed his hand to his side still feeling the burn of the feathers and the tear of the griffin's talons ripping through to his insides.

"You have not said a word to anyone."

"Eria, just leave me be...Please...I beg of you."

She touched his chin before making him stare into her crystallized eyes. They were so light, they appeared to be white. However, there was a hue of blue and green blended within the irises. She was as wise as she was beautiful. She had always been with him since birth and had never, once, left his side until that incident.

"Tahlal's passing must have been a grievous one. He was your dearest friend. However, after all that you had suffered, you had preserved and made it back here. He would like to have it no other way."