F I V E

"Mankind are governed more by their feelings than by reason."

-Xamdú

_________________

Karos took in his surroundings and noticed it still looked very much the same from his early childhood years. Aside from the dust and broken windows, everything was as it was. He saw his old drawings littered around the house causing a surge of memories to go through him. As quick as they came, he pushed them back.

He sat by the fireplace near Olidus who was busy eating dried grapes from his orchard. During the days spent here, Ake had done nothing but sleep and even now he was fast asleep. It worried him at first, but Olidus added ease to his mind. He was exhausted, he said. He hadn't slept for much of the time since they fell into the earth, nonetheless ate much of anything. His own wounds were barely healing.

What Olidus had said riddled him with guilt and he was more than inclined to stay by his bedside until his eyes opened. Despite his reluctance to admit to it, he knew he cared for the beast's well-being. He warmed to the thing. They had traveled together, after all. 

Karos tried to rise, but Olidus took his arm and sat him back down. "I know you worry for Ake, but he is doing quite well, more than well, here. There is no need to inquire about his health any longer, dear boy."

"I had added to his condition, and I need to atone for what I had done so carelessly. Let me be by his side." 

The old man gave Karos a gentle smile before shaking his head. "For weeks, you and Ake had travelled together... somehow, I believe you do not like these long days of separation between the two of you, but it is something you must grow fonder of now." 

Karos looked at Olidus crossly before narrowing his eyes.

"And why is that?"

"You are a human and he is a dragon, young Karos."

"That means nothing," he said, raising his voice. 

"That means everything... quiet now. Never wake a sleeping dragon."

"Oli, do not expect me to just leave while he sleeps. He is a companion, no matter the blood we do not share." Olidus' knowledge of the matters of dragons piqued some questions, but he put them aside.

"Dragons... they hate being in the forms of what we would deem as human in front of us. They do not like to share our likeness." His grey eyes met with his before falling. "However, there are some amongst us willing to forgo their pride to be with one another, as friends, not enemies."

"Is that why you know so much? Why you speak their language?"

 Olidus nodded slowly. 

"I've known of them and their ways for decades, Karos. There is a reason why I had lived in the Forests of Ylon for some time now." Olidus' eyes locked onto his before continuing. "Have you put aside your hate for these beings now or are you still your father's son?"

Karos pursed his lips at his question before his own eyes faltered. "I am no son of his. I never was. He sent me to Incarceron to die," Karos spat.

"But you were dressed in the garbs of a commander."

"The commander died days into the battle. That was what remained of him." 

The old man's worn eyes studied him with sadness leaking through his demeanor. "And your mother? What news of her?" 

Karos closed his eyes at his question. 

"I knew you since you were but a small boy still able to be sat on my lap. Always begging for stories and fruits from my orchard. Your mother had loved you dearly then. Just as your father loves you now. It is in my mind not to believe such folly, but wonder why he would do it, if not for the love he holds for you?"