S E V E N

"To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved."

-Xamdú

__________________

There was no snow, only ice. It formed around the trees, hanging from them like extending, vertical branches. After catching Ake in glances, Karos knew that it filled him with amazement and wonder. He saw how wide his eyes would grow. He noticed the short outstretch of his hand, hesitation, and then how he withdrew his hand back into himself. It was new to him.

The cold air chilled Karos. It caused his footsteps to become heavier and stiff, his body rigid. Ake moved with grace, head up, posture straight, footsteps light as a feather. It was no wonder why he proved to be so lethal.

Finally, as if giving in to temptation, Ake grasped the ice seeing the water evaporating at his touch. It quickly melted which caused Ake to look at his hand and then back at Karos.

"It is only frozen water, Ake. Soon, you will see snow. I think that is, truly, the beauty of winter... watching the snow as it falls." Karos gave him a small smile before carrying on.

All Olidus told him about Ake was that he needed something of him and left it at that. It explained why he had saved him countless times and endured his presence. It gave reason to why he decided to journey with him still. Though he may never admit it aloud, he had grown used to his companionship and would be short of emotion without it.

That thought stopped him in his tracks and caused him to eye the ground with mixed feelings swarming through his mind. Growing attached to him was something he could not have happen, but it happened already. At a young age, he very well knew of the matters of friendship. They never last long... One always ends up hurting the other, using the other, dying, living.

He could hear the people of the town from where he stood and knew they were only but a few moments away from it. Gaining a friend made his blood run cold. Ake grabbed his arm before he could start moving causing Karos' eyes to widen at the heat radiating off of him in waves. It warmed him in seconds. He could feel the pulse of the energy just by that mere touch. Ake's eyes never left his for a moment as if it had sensed his growing unease. Just as he was about to speak, a woman's shrill voice broke out nearby.

"Travelers afoot!"

Ake's hand dropped as he let out an audible sigh of irritation.

"Soldier of the war, eh?" He felt her breath whisper into his ear causing him to follow suite and sigh. Of all people to have run across, it had to be her, he thought with annoyance.

"Analia," he muttered with closed eyes. Her caravan came brushing past his face so fast it almost kissed his cheek.

"Not so much the ladies man, now are you?" Her finger dragged down his chin to the nape of his neck as she took in his disheveled state. It only made him roll his eyes and push her away from him. He was surprised this woman was even still alive.

"Oh! And you have a friend. Never would I had thought you would actually have friends, Karos! I thought you went and killed the lot of them."

Finally, he decided to open his eyes and peer at the queer girl jibing at him at every instance she was given. Her hair was still the uncommonly pale, blonde he last seen her with, a stark contrast to her browned skin. She gave him a small smile with cheeks the color of a fresh, bloomed rose.

After a moment, she turned her attention to Ake who, continually, had a look of disdain for her.

"So you could not find a woman and settled with a man. Is that it, Karos?" Her eyes glimmered like the hazel color of honey waiting for a rise that would never come.