T W E N T Y - N I N E

"The human heart has hidden treasures, In secret kept, in silence sealed; The thoughts, the hopes, the dreams, the pleasures, whose charms were broken if revealed."

-Xamdú

_______________

Karos looked at Ake's sleeping face one last time before turning away. He had fine features with a complexion that made him look all the more striking and beautiful. Ever since he had first met him, he thought of him as such. His beauty was endless, the kind of beauty that goes beyond the skin. 

He did not want to leave. No, not after all he had been through to get here, but he was without another choice. There was a war below he had to suffer through. Once it was all over, he wanted to be back in his arms, in his heated embraces. As soon as he turned to leave, he felt loose arms wrapping around his waist. 

"Karos." His voice was thick with sleep.

"The sun is in the sky. I must leave." He felt as Ake pressed his forehead to the small of his back, still keeping his arms tight across him.

"I know," he mumbled, his lips lingering on his back.

 Karos turned around to face him. His eyes were still heavy, barely opening. He knew this would be as hard on him as it would be to Ake. That is why he did not want to wake him. 

"You thought to leave without waking me." Ake stared into his eyes.

"Ake..." he mumbled but Ake went on and shook his head. 

"I will not ask the impossible from you as you cannot ask it of me." 

Karos bent down, his eyes fixated on his lips. 

"So just ki—"

Karos covered his lips with his own. His head had tilted as Ake pressed deeper. His arms wrapped around Karos' neck bringing him down further until he was almost back on the bed. He seemed to melt into him with hesitation. He only sank deeper through the seconds. As he pulled away he gazed into Ake's slit eyes, feeling as if his heart was pounding out of his chest. 

"I treasure you," Karos sighed through his breathlessness, "so do not become involved with this because of me." 

He saw as Ake's eyebrows furrowed and his arms went limp around his neck. Ake's lips pursed and he did not bother to meet his eyes. 

"Do not. I care far too much for you."

"As I do you—"

"Ake, do not." 

Ake's lips pursed again. Soon, he let go of him as his eyes had gone to the corners of his room. 

"Very well then...If this is what you desire..." he muttered causing Karos to peck his lips before smiling.

"This will be temporary. As soon as this is all over...I will be back in your arms."  Karos kept his hand at his cheek. It only made Ake sigh out and press his hand closer. He went on and kissed the palm of it before Fariel had walked into the room. 

Karos watched as Ake stared at Fariel and Fariel stared back at him. Ake's eyes soon turned into a glower which made Fariel's lips twitch. There was something about the two of them Karos was having a hard time piecing together. He had never asked Ake on it. There was never any time.

"Karos. We must be heading back now. We have many things to do and so little time." 

His eyes went back to Ake, however, Ake only turned around and put the covers over his head. He wanted to say something. He wanted to bring him some kind of solace, but the words would not come. They stayed stuck in his throat. Ake continued to curl into himself as his gaze lingered. He would be  upset no matter what he said.