T W E N T Y - F I V E

"To be able to throw one's self away for the sake of a moment, to be able to sacrifice years for someone else's smile - that is happiness."

-Xamdú

___________________________

Ake eyed the decorative ornaments being set up and strung across the ceilings. The fine lace and silks covered the walls of the dancing hall causing Ake to look away towards the front. Dragons loved the color gold and the dark color of red. It was customary to wed in these colors if you were of royal blood. His lips pursed at the thought.

"Is this not a grand event, Ake?"

"It is," Ake mumbled back.  He looked into her eyes searching for a hint of doubt, but, as usual, her face gave nothing away.

"Iliya is to be wed soon." 

He had always pictured his sister marrying to be a grand event. She was hard towards suitors and spurned anyone who dared to make a single advance. Ake laughed more to himself than anything. What man could have made her change her mind in the time he had been gone, he wondered.

"Eria, do not follow me passed here. I would like to see my sister in private." 

Eria gave him a slight bow and kept her head lowered as he passed her by. 

Just as he swept by, Ake gave her a fleeting glance over before going out the room and out back into the main hall. He did not want to involve him in any more of his affairs. Though she had not said a word, he was certain she was punished to the greatest extent by his parents. She walked with a slight limp he knew was quite fresh and it angered him to be unable to do a thing about it.

He felt useless. 

There was a smell of lilacs in the air. As he looked around he noticed as his people walked with vases and bouquets in hand, going this way and that. Long, red ribbons of satin looped around the large pillars and across the walls. His eyes narrowed once he saw the plethora of guests coming from the East Wing. 

As he walked further into the palace chamber halls, Ake had an aching feeling in his chest. Something had gone terribly wrong, he knew. He could feel it. Had it been his brothers? He quickened his steps and made his way to her room. With a knock, he came and opened the door. 

"Iliya."

He had been so consumed with his own self-pity, he had not thought what could have happened above. 

Her bed was made with all hues of blues and violets. It was her favorite color. There was a canopy covering her bed making it hard to see, but he knew she was not there.

"Iliya. It is me." 

Ake pursed his lips as he saw her come out of the connecting room, her head slightly bowed. Her robe was garnished in blue blossoms made of white, thin silk. It made a stark contrast to her sun-kissed skin and black hair.

"My-"

"Do not. No need for such formalities here." 

Her blue eyes pierced into his. He saw as her black hair fell in tousels down her back. Her cheeks were flushed and her nose was red. She had been crying.

"So, it is true," she said through tears. "You are back and you are well." 

She was quick to swipe at her eyes before showing him a smile. 

"Forgive me..." Ake said with furrowed brows. "For taking so long to visit you. I had..."

"I heard the rumors."