Chapter 7: One for Two, and Forty for One

*DRUM ROLL* The moment you've all been waiting for! TADA! Preston's very first POV!

~Photo of Jody Martin above~

PRESTON
~*~*~

I couldn't sleep that night. My mind was too preoccupied with thoughts of Alex. All of them, him. It was overwhelming, how one person could calm my senses with a simple touch, and drive me to the edge of insanity with his smart mouth all at once. Ever since that first encounter, when he'd practically plowed me over in the entrance-way of my home. I couldn't help the goofy smile that pulled at my mouth. I felt like a giddy school girl. Alex was like a drug. Something about him just had my mind turning to putty and infuriated me just the same. I could barely think straight around him. I'm surprised I hadn't made a complete fool of myself in front of him.

Oh wait, I had. At the warehouse, not two hours ago.

But that kiss. Dear god, that kiss. If I could, I would rewind and play it over a thousand times. I could still feel the pressure on my lips, still faintly taste that sweet mint on my tongue.

Here I was, laying in my over-sized bed, staring at the ceiling, more awake than ever, and only able to conjure up one certain thought in my head. I couldn't stop thinking about him. He consumed every corner of my mind. I was almost tempted to wake him, just so I could hear his voice, smell his warm, spiced cologne. Oh, what I would give to see him clearly. What I would do to be able to see those sharp eyes in all their detail. It was times like these where I loathed my blurred vision.

I was taken back to that night, when I'd fallen in the hallway, injured myself and sat in anger, unable to stop my tears. I was almost thirty, and I was crying? I felt like a toddler. A helpless, weak, vulnerable toddler.

His hands on my cheeks, wiping away my tears, telling me it was alright. Worrying about me the way he was. To say I was mystified was an understatement. Or when he had dressed my scratches. It had been so minor and still, he'd insisted on bandaging them. Which only made my chest swell with wild emotions. 

I was scared stiff with the powerful force of affection I'd felt towards him in that moment.

I frowned lightly as I remembered how I'd stormed off, left him alone in the kitchen. All because he'd asked that one question. The one question I never wanted to relive. Just the thought of what had happened made me shudder. I closed my eyes tightly and tried to shut out the images. But they were already threatening to escape at the back of my mind. I rubbed my eyes, groaning in frustration.

So much sleep lost, all because of one person. So many emotions yanked into existence, feelings I thought had long since died away. I refused to admit that I was infatuated with him. That couldn't be right. But it was something close. No, I couldn't pin-point it. But since I'd first met him, I knew that boy was special. Not many people knew I had been attracted to men, not many people knew about me in general. But I'd never shown affection to anyone. Except for Addie, but she was my sister, my twin. She was the exception.