Chapter 36

“Hey, Mikey,” Ben tried hard to keep his spirits high for Mike’s sake.

Mike looked up at him from his hospital bed and forced a light smile. “Hey Benny boy.” He paused briefly and choked back his tears. “I dunno how to thank you…”

“No thanks needed,” Ben replied, walking towards his bed, dragging a chair with him. “You’d have done the same for me.”

“Damn straight I woulda!” Mike perked up a little. “All the same, what you did, that took guts. I owe ya buddy.”

Ben sat back in the large padded chair and rubbed at the scar over his temple. He was at a loss for words, the last few days had been horrendous for Mike. Danni had lost the baby and he was stuck in hospital for a few more days with a broken collarbone and some minor cuts and abrasions. It tore him up seeing his partner like this and he felt powerless to do anything about it.

“How’s Danni?”

Mike sighed and lowered his head. “She’s alive. Pretty shaken up still. She’s staying with her mother until I get out of here.” He looked up at Ben. “She can’t bring herself to go back to the house, though, not on her own. I don’t know if she ever will, y’know?”

“She’s been through one hell of an ordeal, Mikey. It’s going to take her some time.”

“Yeah, I guess so.” Then a smile tugged at his lips. “She’ll be up here a little later, you wanna hang around? I know she’d love to see ya.”

“Oh, I dunno…”

“Course you’ll stay!” Mike’s eyes pleaded with him. “I want you to.”

Ben threw his hands in the air in a surrendering gesture and laughed. “How can I say no to that?”

“I really wanted that baby, Ben,” Mike’s voice fell to less than a whisper.

“I’m so sorry. I should have moved faster, acted differently. I, I just…”

“I’m not blaming you, mate, gees. Is that what you are thinking?” Mike pulled himself more upright in his bed and raised his words to a deep, steady tone. “Losing that baby was not your fault, and given the situation you were in, you did what you could, when you could. There’s nothing wrong in that Ben.” He rubbed his hands across his chin and then added. “Hell, if it wasn’t for you, neither of us would be here today. Christ man, we owe you our lives. So no more talk or thoughts about coulda’s and shoulda’s, okay?”

All Ben could do was nod. He wanted to pour his heart out to Mike and tell him how petrified he had been and how he thought he was never going to see him again. The ordeal of two nights ago knocked the wind clean out of him. In his years of service, he had never been in that situation before. Not once had he been concerned that him or one of his mates was not going to be coming home. Trying to disguise his rising emotions, Ben coughed and held his hand over his mouth.

“I know just how you feel, buddy.” Mike stared at him. “So, how about our psycho-morgue-tech, Ed? What’s the story with him?”