Chapter 28

Ben opened his eyes. He was greeted with a middle-aged nurse smiling kindly down at him. Her deep blue eyes were kind and her full, red lips looked so soft and sensual. He smiled at the thought of kissing them.

“Well, hello there,” she said in a hushed voice. “Good to see you’re awake.” 

“What happened?” he asked, using his arms to push himself up into a sitting position. 

“You have seven neat stitches in your temple and a nasty little concussion to boot. That’s what happened.” she helped him sit up properly then handed him some water. 

Ben took it from her and raised it to his lips. “Oh God, Anna!” The memory of the afternoon’s events came rushing back to him in one gigantic wave. 

“It’s ok,” the nurse hushed him. “You got the bad guy and everyone is safe. Your partner Detective Lynch came in with you and then left again. He said he’d be back a little later.” 

“Mike?” 

“Yes, that’s right.” She patted his face down with a cool washer.   

“Did someone mention my name?” A familiar voice filled the room. 

Ben looked over to the door and saw Mike standing there holding a can of coke in one hand and a manila folder in the other. 

“Hey, Mikey, great to see you.” 

“It’s great to see you! I was worried there for a while.” He pulled up a chair next to the bed. 

The attractive nurse put down the washer and excused herself before leaving the room. Ben smiled at her as she left. He turned back to Mike who was grinning broadly at him. 

“What?”

“You like her!” his smile grew wider. “Don’t you? Go on, admit it.” 

Ben smirked like a schoolboy and then changed the subject. “How is Anna?” 

“She’s fine. A little shaken by the ordeal, but otherwise she’s ok.” he stopped cold. 

“What is it, Mike?” 

“She’s been charged in relation to Tessa’s death, Ben. I’m sorry.” 

“Did she…” 

“No she didn’t kill her, but she was pre-sent when she died and then helped cover it up by keeping her mouth shut.”

“So who did?” Ben’s curiosity rose. “My memory, it’s a bit scrambled.” 

“A blow to the head will do that to ya, Benny boy.” Mike joked. “You were on the money all along. The Wellness Clinic…” 

“What about it?” 

“It seems the good doctor performed some after hours terminations and Tessa’s happened to go wrong. Anna knew about it and said nothing.” 

“Jesus,” he whispered, rubbing his forehead. “So what about Rose?” 

“She’s admitted to the killing and gave a statement. I wouldn’t be surprised if she gets off on insanity though. She’s one fruity loop that one.” 

“So why the mutilation? It doesn’t make sense.” 

“She thought that if she cut her up and made it look like some sicko on the loose that it would throw police off the track.” 

“Well, she was right there.” 

“I spoke to Anna. Her story was pretty consistent with what I got from Rose.”