Chapter 4

Ben’s eyes shot open and he blinked a few times until his focus returned. The haze from his painkillers was lifting and his head was no longer suffering at the hands of his brain bleeder. He had barely made it home from the Station House earlier, when the full effect of the drugs kicked in. It had taken all the strength he had left to make it from his car to he lounge, before passing out. Although he felt refreshed, he did feel somewhat more energised. Or at least he felt more capable of getting on with the day and more importantly, his job.

 In one swift movement, he threw his legs over the edge of the lounge and planted them firmly on the floor. With both arms raised above his head, he stretched, rose to his feet and stumbled into the kitchen. After setting the kettle to boil, he searched for his notebook to review his notes once more. Ben pulled his notebook from his coat pocket and headed into his office. He flipped through his book and studied the copies of the business cards found near Tessa’s body. Her murder was a giant puzzle and Ben was no wiser now than he was three weeks ago when Tessa was discovered.

 The kettle whistled away, boiling water spitting from the mouth of its spout. Ben left his notes and walked back into the kitchen. He carefully apportioned just the right amount of coffee and sugar into his favourite coffee mug before adding the milk and finally the water. For most people, a cuppa was just a cuppa, but not for Ben. His coffee was a simple pleasure and if it wasn’t made according to his fastidious directions, it no longer held any enjoyment for him. The fact that he was about to enter the worst coffee house in Freybourne, only made Ben even more determined to enjoy the brew he was now preparing. He stirred the mixture briskly and inhaled the aroma of the double roasted blend, before indulging in the first swallow.

  "Aaahh," he sighed aloud. 

With his coffee still firmly in one hand, he strode into his office and collected his notebook and pen before heading to his bedroom to change his clothes. He sipped his coffee slowly and then opened his robe doors. Ben chose a suede jacket, a smart button up polo shirt and pair of neatly pressed, box pleated slacks. Comfortable that his dress was both official and reasonably casual all in one, he gulped down the last of his coffee. He sat the empty mug on top of his chest of drawers and made his way to the bathroom. Ben splashed some water on his face, brushed his teeth and freshened his breath. He combed his hair and then slapped on a dash of cologne. The coolness of the cologne stung his skin, causing him to wince. Confidant that he was ready to tackle the job ahead of him, he walked back into his bedroom and began dressing for his impromptu meeting with the Wellness Clinic.

 Ben glanced at the red neon digits of his bedside clock, 4.45pm. He pulled on his suede jacket, tucked his notebook and pen into the front inside pocket. From the dressing table, he stuffed a couple of sealed painkillers into his other pocket. Snatching his empty mug from the top of the chest of drawers, he then headed back to the kitchen. 

After carefully rinsing out his coffee cup, Ben then grabbed his keys from the key holder on the kitchen wall, set his alarm and left the apartment. As he walked out the front door, he secured the deadbolt and headed to the garage. Security was of great importance to Ben, he could never be certain that some former crim he helped put away wouldn’t come after him for revenge or any number of other reasons.

 Once behind the wheel of his baby blue 57 Chevy, Ben drew in a deep breath and allowed the scent of the leather upholstery to fill his senses. 

 "Aaahh," he gushed as he exhaled slowly. 

He surveyed the immaculate interior of his pride and joy with vanity and gratification before turning the key in the ignition. The Chevy’s motor sprung to life and purred like a satisfied kitten. Content that he had indulged in his Chevy’s pleasures long enough, he backed down the driveway. He scanned for traffic, and then indicated his intent to pull out, before setting off down the road in the direction of Shelby’s Coffee House.