Chapter 17

The monotone voice of the message bank assistant cut in. "You have one new message. Message received yesterday at 11.27pm"

'Detective Torrens, this is Marla Andrews from the Wellness Clinic, I need to speak to you, as soon as possible. It’s important. There is something you should know; I can’t go into it now. Can you please call me back? Thank you.'

Ben listened to the message again. The desperation in her voice was evident. He saved her message on his phone, threw it onto the bed and headed straight for the shower, finally there was going to be more than cracks appearing down at the Wellness Clinic. Marla was going to blow the lid clean off the place, he could hear it in her voice. For the first time in almost a month of investigating Tessa’s murder, he saw a glimmer of hope shining at the end of the long, black tunnel he’d been walking down. Ben threw the phone onto his bedside table and headed into the bathroom.

He stepped into the shower, cold water splashed over his face. His entire body felt invigorated by the drops that rained down upon him. His thoughts travelled back to his visit to the Wellness Clinic and his interview with Marla and Dr. Sugars, finally the reason for their odd behaviour and caginess would be revealed. Ben knew with every ounce of his being, that today would change his, and Mike’s case; in a way they had never anticipated. He flicked the taps off and reached for the towel draped over the railing beside the shower cubicle. Wrapping it securely around him, he hurried into his bed-room, pulled a set of clothes from the hanger on his robe door and slipped into them.

He grabbed his phone and stuffed it excitedly into his shirt pocket before rushing downstairs, his pulse racing in anticipation of Marla’s upcoming revelation. Once or twice he chided himself for being so excited, that’s how mistakes are made and vital information is overlooked. He made his way to the kitchen bench and pulled a coffee cup from the cup-board. Determined to slow himself down he set the jug to boil and searched for his notebook. Plucking it from amongst the debris on the living room coffee table, he flipped through it and surveyed his previous notes. This time he would get what he was looking for if he had to set up camp in the wellness clinic waiting room.

The kettle wailed it’s shrill whistle, alert-ing him that it had boiled. Ben placed his, coffee, sugar and milk in the cup followed by the water. He stirred it vigorously, all the while the excitement of what Marla was about to reveal to him was building inside him. After two sips, he was unable to contain himself any longer, he had been waiting for a break for so long and now he was going to get it. He poured the unfinished coffee down the sink and rinsed his cup quickly before placing it upside down on the drainer. With not so much as a second thought, he snatched the keys from the holder and made a beeline for the car.

He backed down the driveway and out onto the street, with a swift gear change he found himself nestled amongst the flow of traffic, heading east towards the city centre. Twenty minutes later, he turned onto Link Avenue and then onto Fort Street before halting steadily in the nearest parking bay he could find. Ben turned off the engine and sat in his seat, the anticipation of what he was about to learn paralysing him. Deep breaths filled his lungs with fresh air before escaping from his mouth ready for the next intake. He pulled the sun visor down and stared at his reflection in the tiny personal mirror behind it. He studied his eyes and the sternness he wanted them to hold, he pursed his lips in an attempt to remain firm. It was time; he was ready.

The glass doors and marble columns that had so impressed him before, no longer intimi-dated or held awe for him. He was focussed. With one hand, he pushed on the glass entrance, marched across the immaculately shiny tiles and straight up to the reception counter. Just as he was about to open his mouth, a petite red head stared up at him and smiled courteously.