Chapter 29

“Hey Tadpole,” cried Mike. “How’s it goin’?” Mike leaned over the bar and shook his hand as he always does.

“Mikey, great to see you. I had a feeling you’d be back again,” Tadpole grinned widely at him and pulled a beer before sliding it across the bar, coming to a stop in front of Mike.

“Really? What, are you a bloody psychic now, are ya?”

Tadpole laughed and then replied, “Believe me, it wouldn’t take a psychic to see why you’re back again.” his eyes strayed across the room behind Mike and came to rest on Danni, who was stacking empty beer glasses on her tray.

Mike followed his gaze, a broad smile spreading over his face when his eyes fell upon Danni. His expression softened and he was overcome with a warm feeling, that girl sure did make his senses peak. His eyes moved up and down over her beautiful body, taking in it’s every curve and contour, her shapely hips and tiny waist stirred the man in him. Her full bust and slender neck were just perfect. Mike had never seen a finer looking woman. The Queen of Sheba could walk right by him now and he wouldn’t even notice. Danni was his Queen and nothing else mattered, he was taken with the girl. Hook, line and sinker!

Turning his attentions back to Tadpole he lifted his beer to his lips and said, “Hey Tad, what’s the chances of me takin’ her off your hands a few minutes earlier tonight?” he nudged his head in Danni’s direction.

Tadpole pursed his lips and clicked his tongue in a serious manner. “Gees, I don’t know, Mikey, it’s kinda busy here tonight,” he scratched his head and frowned weakly. “I don’t know that I can spare the man power.”

Mike scanned the bar and billiards room. He counted maybe five customers in total. He looked back at Tadpole whose frown was now replaced with a cheeky smirk and trying desperately to hold back his laughter.

“You mongrel,” Mike cursed at him playfully.

“Go on you love machine, get out of here!”

Mike downed his beer and placed the glass back on the bar. He was already walking away when Tadpole yelled after him, “Just make sure you bring her back. Good help’s hard to find you know.”

He waved his hand in the air and crept up behind Danni, who by now was at the next table clearing the last of the glasses away. His hands extended and grabbed her firmly around the waist, “Hey there gorgeous.”

She jumped so high that she lost her balance and would have toppled over, glasses and all, if it hadn’t been for Mike’s tight grip steadying her on her feet.

“Good God!” she gasped. “You scared the living daylights out of me.” She let out a nervous laugh and then threw her arms around him, planting a kiss on his cheek. She glanced over at the bar and saw Tadpole staring at them, a knowing smile on his lips. He gave her the thumbs up and then went back about his business.

“You’re early,” she told him. “I don’t get off for another half an hour yet. You want to have a drink at the bar?”