Chapter 27

“What happened, Rose?” Mike sat in front of her, his eyes directly on hers.

“It was an accident….”

“Save the crap for someone who actually gives a damn! What happened before you sliced her up and threw her into the scrub like a slaughtered beast..”

“You don’t have to say it like that..”

“Does that offend you, Rose? Don’t you like hearing the truth about what you did to Tessa Hunt?”

“It wasn’t like that. I told you what happened..”

“So tell me again and again and again if you have to, just make sure you tell me everything. I want the truth!”

“I have told you the truth,” she spat back at him, her eyes still fixed intently on his.

Mike couldn’t believe what a tough nut she was to crack. He had been in this room with her for three hours already and she still kept rambling on about Tessa death being an accident. He had already pried one version from Anna. Now he had to get the other story from Rose.

“I have your counsellor friend down in processing as we speak, and she was more than happy to spill the goods on you,” Mike slid his chair back from the table they were sitting at and stood up. “Seems that you are going down for murder and there isn’t another soul alive who wants to help you..”

“Anna?” Rose scoffed. “You can’t believe a word that leaves that deceitful mouth of hers. I bet she didn’t tell you all the juicy secrets she has hidden though, did she?”

“Oh you mean about her asking you to perform the after hours abortion, or her connection with Tessa?”

Rose raised her eyebrows and followed Mike with her gaze. “Oh, so she did tell you, then?”

“Just to make sure we are on the same page here, you tell me what you’re talking about,” offered Mike.

A deep laugh escaped Rose. “So you really don’t know, do you, Detective? You think I am stupid enough to fall for that trick?”

“Don’t play games with me,” threatened Mike. “I’ve been in this game almost as long as you’ve been killin’ babies..”

She shifted in her seat and pursed her lips.

“Fine, have it your way,” Mike continued. “I can see how much you care about solving Marla’s murder..”

“You leave my daughter out of this. She has nothing to do with Tessa..”

“Are you sure about that? She was murdered almost identically to Tessa and Kylie-Anne. How do I know you didn’t kill her, too?”