Chapter 54

Mikaela

I swung at the punching bag as my fist connected with it. I felt nothing, as I increased my speed with my right knuckle.

My mind began wandering to whoever the son of a Bitch who kidnapped Brie was. I swung a bit more forcefully as I imagined them standing in front of me. Left, right, left...each swing quicker than the last.

I didn't know how many times I hit the punching bag, as my mind got swept away by all the pure anger I had within me.

"Kaela." I heard August's voice call to me as I snapped out of the trance like state I was in, and noticed him standing right next to me.

"Babeh, I been callin' ya from da doorway," he said as he came even closer.

"Oh I'm sorry babe, I got lost in my thoughts for a minute," I said as he placed his arms around my shoulders.

"Ion blame ya. I took ma frustration out on da carrots last night," he said causing me to crack a smile. He'd chopped those carrots so small while we made dinner last night...

It was the first time he'd made any thing resembling a joke in forever.

"I came ta let ya know that Officer Daniels is on his way over hea ta discuss sum'n with us," he told me as I took off my protective wrist wraps.

"Oh? Okay. Well let me go take a bath, and give Brie one as well before he gets here." I responded as he nodded in agreement before we left the gym.

***********
August

About 15 mins later, Officer Daniels sat 'cross from us in da livin room as Brie played on da sofa nearby.

"Thanks for seeing me on such short notice. But I came up with a plan to not let Brie's kidnapper know that we're closer onto them than they might think." He said as he leaned in closely as to not let Abrianna ova hea much of his words.

"Aight. We listenin' " I said, adjustin' ma self on da sofa to get da details.

"Alright. So because of your outburst- which I'm not saying isn't justifiable of course- I was thinking...you two should invite over your friends aka the suspects one by one." He explained

I frowned and noticed Mikaela was also confused.

"How will letting them near Brie help us in finding out who exactly it is?" She questioned him

"Basically, August will need to pretend like the outburst was due to all the stress of the situation over the last couple months, and express his frustrations in not knowing who could've done this." He went on

"It's been shown that most criminals who commit crimes towards people they know are fueled by this sense of being so close to the victim without them having a clue. It's a sick and twisted thing of them feeling like their getting away with the crime when they're right underneath the victim and family's nose,"

Mikaela nodded slowly, " I get what you're saying. So you don't want them to think we know it's them and have em tie whatever lose ends that still may be hanging around for us to find."

"Exactly," Officer Daniels concluded.

"I get yall. But we can't let none of em actually go near Brie...fa her own safety and dey life," I said strictly.

"I could stay with her in another room. Just tell them a side effect of the poisoning was a weakened immune system...so we can't let her near anybody in case of infections and that's why you went ape shit the other day," Kaela looked to me sayin

I gave ha a small smile. She really was lowkey a genius.

"Aight. So let's get to it," I said standin up ready ta do it.