Chapter 32

Mikaela

"Wh what are you talking about Ms Catherine?? " I asked trying to wrap my head around her last words.

By now she was sobbing loudly, unable to answer me. I heard the phone switch hands as my heart beat 10 000 times faster than usual.

"Someone kidnapped Brie," my dad's voice came over the line saying solemnly.

"WHAT!" I shouted back as I felt as if the world was closing in on me.

******* flashback *******

"Again!" Brie said to Ms Catherine who seemed exhausted from throwing the freezbie for Pax to catch.

"Maybe in a few minutes Brie Brie. I need to sit down for a little," she said as she wiped a bead of sweat away.

I chuckled, " let me help you" I told her as I led her to the nearby bench.

"How about you play with Pax, and I'll get us all some ice cream" I told Brie as she took her Eddy stuffed minion and placed it on Pax's back.

"Okay Paw Paw. Hee haw Paxie," she told him as Pax wagged his tail.

"Stay in my eyesight," I heard Ms Catherine tell her as she nodded

"Yes maam,"

I walked towards the ice cream cart as I took in the surroundings.

"Three cones please. One pistachio and two rocky roads," I ordered the ice cream as I pulled out my wallet from my jeans.

"That'll be $8.50," the man told me as I dug through trying to find the exact change. I hated having a bunch of coins weighing down my wallet.

"Where's that other nickel?" I said to myself as I heard a shrill scream.

I looked over my shoulder to see someone in a hooded jacket quickly tucking Brie underneath their arm.

"Hey! That's not your child! Brie!!!" Ms Catherine shouted as she stood up and tried chasing after them.

I dropped my wallet and began bolting in their direction.

"BRIE!!" I shouted as I crossed the footpath and onto the grass. By now the person was running as fast as they could as Brie cried out.

I passed a breathless Ms Catherine as Pax was hot on their tail, barking as he went.

"Abrianna!" I called out to her frantically as I sped up some more

Pax  got to them and bit down on Brie's Eddy that she was still holding onto, but not for long. The toy slid out of her hand, causing Pax to lose momentum, with the Eddy still in his mouth.

"Someone stop that man!" I could hear Ms Catherine's faint voice behind me but there was hardly anyone in the park at this time.

"Brie!" I yelled her name as I stretched my arms, trying to pull the kidnapper's jacket but I was blindsided.

A cyclist rammed into me since I was intersecting the bicycle lane right then. I tumbled to the ground with the bike and cyclist.

"Paw paw!" I heard Brie cry my name, as I looked up to see her outstretched arms longing for me.

A car parked on the curb awaited the stranger, as they slid into the passenger seat with Brie in hand- taking off down the street.

******************

The tears ran down my face as I quickly made my way to the airport. I had been trying to call August since I got off the phone with Ms Catherine and my dad, but it went straight to voicemail.