Chapter 8

August

I looked over at Mikaela as she held back a lil smile.

"Well as I said...me and Dawn went down to Bed Bath and Beyond earlier...."

*flash back*

Mikaela

I pushed the glass door open and held onto it so Dawn, who was holding baby Q in her arms could enter.

"Alright. We should prolly ask one of the workers to see the supervisor or someone in management," she said as she looked around for an employee.

"Oh there's someone," I said as I quickly spotted a young woman a few feet ahead of us.

After calling up the floor manager, she gave us directions to his office. From there we had to go all the way to the security section.

**********

"Dang ladies. That's from a whole year ago. We do have surveillance here but might take a bit to locate the tape for yall," the security told us

I took a deep breath feeling the frustration coming on, " well we're willing to wait. It's for July the 14th,"

"And you guys were where exactly in the store then?" He asked as he walked over to a shelf containing records.

"Over by the mattress section. Yall had some special on serta and I was laying on the bed testing em out," Dawn replied him

He nodded, " alright. This gonna take up to an hour, so if you got anything else to do you can go ahead and come back then," he said as he continued to sift through the many dated tape reels.

"I don't wanna go too far to be honest," I told Dawn. I was so anxious to find out if they had gotten us on camera, I couldn't think about anything else.

"Well let's just hang around the store. I need some new face towels anyway," Dawn answered back to me.

*****************

"What you think? The tan or the top ones?" Dawn asked as I focused on the 2 sets of towels she was holding

"Top? Oh you mean the taupe," I said coming to realise what she meant

She kissed her teeth, " top, taupe....I ain't created the word. Now which one?"

"I don't know D, any one" I said not really caring

She narrowed her eyes at me about to say something but someone interrupted us.

"You would think you'd be home spending as much time as possible with your family before you get locked up, but no."

We both spun around to see Mrs. Duncan- Helena's mother folding her arms at us

Dawn raised an eyebrow at her, " you THOUGHT"

She rolled her eyes slightly at us as Q who was in Dawn's arm kept lunging for my phone.

"Just so you know Ms Montgomery, prison towels are free," she shot at me

"What is your problem? You were so hurt over your daughter not too long ago in the court room, now you're out here making these smart ass remarks at me?" I said back, growing tired of this woman.

Q made a grab at my phone, and I just let him have it as I zoned in on Mrs Duncan.

She chuckled softly, " I came shopping...for things for my new 1.5 million dollar home that I'll be buying as soon as you lose this case and your lil boyfriend pays us"

"Hold up!-" Dawn began but I raised my hand cutting her off.

"You really are enjoying sending me to prison? I have a 2 year old daughter, you lost yours...now you're taking pleasure in me losing mine?" I said as I shook my head at her.

She scoffed. " child please. Helena was my stepdaughter. I always told her father Arthur that girl was too damn sensitive. After convincing him to sue you, this money we'll be collecting will be all Helena was ever good for to me"

I was in complete shock to what was coming out of this woman's mouth.

Dawn's mouth was wide open too in disbelief.

"Q stop it," she finally said as Q who mimicked taking selfies with my phone held the phone up high.

"Don't act all surprised, even you two didn't like that girl. I always told her father she was unstable, but he's stubborn." She pondered on the thought for a split second as she shook her head as if disgusted.

My phone fell out of Q's grip at that as I scrambled to pick it up.

"Well see you next week. And my husband and I will be expecting our 3 million by wire transfer no later than 2 Days after," she said with a smirk.

Dawn was livid as Mrs Duncan walked away, but thank God she had Q so couldn't act on.

"Can you believe that bitch! She more evil than Helena and she ain't even her real mama!" Dawn ranted as I picked up my phone.

"And why the hell did you just let her say that shit to you?! She's playing you and August for your money!....helloooo!" She finally said as she snapped her fingers in front of me

"Because we got this," I said as I brought my iphone up to her view.

On it the entire thing was caught in a video.

" I know Q always holds up our phones like he taking pics, so before letting him have it...I turned on the video" I explained to Dawn

"You little smart ass, fast thinker you!" Dawn said excitedly

"And my little Spike Lee over here," she said looking at Q and placing numerous kisses all over his face as he fought a few of them off.

I giggled at the sight but was also overjoyed, thinking this just might keep me out of jail.

***********
August

My eyes lit up as Mikaela finished givin me dat story.

"Babeh you a fuckin geniusss" I said as I stood up and gave ha a kiss.

"And what bout da surveillance from da sto'...did yall get that?" I asked hopin' that would seal da deal for us.

"Yeah but it was pretty grainy and far from where exactly we were...I don't know if it's clear enough. Although there is a point where you can vaguely see Dawn grabbing my phone," she explained ta me as she pulled out ha phone ta show me.

We looked ova da footage. "Well its gon have ta do. Imma call up Megan now, so we can send these to ha" I said as I went and grabbed ma phone off da sofa.

***********
Mikaela

"Aight. Mikaela just emailed em both to ya, get back to us as quick as you can after you watch em" August said to my lawyer over the phone.

He ended the call as I rested my elbow on the desk, and head in my palm still in thought.

"Come hea" he said as he came up and stood next to me

I stood up as I looked directly up at him

"I just hope she can use them in the case. I mean she did say only previously mentioned stuff can be fought against in the final hearing," I said to him...since I knew he was waiting on me to say what was on my mind.

"Well dey brought up da voice mail and text message, and that surveillance tape got everything ta do with that. So we know fa sure she can use dat" he said as he held me in his arms from behind

I rested my head back onto his chest, still thinking. "Yeah. I just hope it's good enough....."

**************
Yeahh so!

Miky was smart to record that convo between them and Mrs Duncan Huh

& what about Helena's step mama's little confession. Will they be able to use it in the last hearing?

Is the surveillance tape of that day Dawn took Miky's phone clear enough for the judge and jury to see??

Next chapter is the final hearing/ verdict so stay tuned lol

Baby Q the video maker in the mm.