Chapter Twenty-Four: Plain Mundane

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: PLAIN MUNDANE

Friday

The students in the music class adored Jewel like she's some kind of singing goddess.

I would've loved her too if I didn't know she used to date my fiancé.

Yes, she's beautiful and really charming. Yes, she sings like we're being lullabied; yet I just don't think she's good enough. It's like something is missing. Like, something is off.

But more importantly, where is this hostility coming from?

Jeez, Kim. Bitter much?

She didn't even acknowledge me the whole class. I'm guessing she's aware that there is something going between me and her ex. Or she just doesn't want to show favoritism.

Either way, I still don't like her and I have my reasons.

Lance and Ella are both in that class and when Jewel asked to form a pair, one male and female, for a singing assignment next week, Lance immediately chose my best friend and I was left with Pick-His-Nose-Eugene.

I felt somewhat betrayed but I'm still excited on how much they're becoming closer.

Maybe Lance will soon tell Ella of our theory as soon as they're both comfortable with each other. I can't wait for Lance to finally be with his sister. But I still hate the fact that I had no choice for a partner since I only have two friends.

Once all the classes were over, Jeremy shoots me a text, telling me to go to the parking lot by 3:30 sharp and make sure no one notices that I'm following his car with mine en route to their place. I had to check behind my shoulders twice to make sure everything was clear.

This secret affair is hard yet thrilling.

Jade's party is being held in the swimming pool area at the back of their house.

I park beside Jeremy's car and once I climb off, Jade immediately spots me who was busy conversing with a woman. She's holding a wine glass with red drink in it as she saunters towards me. The cool December wind slightly blows the end of her knee length cream dress and she tightens her black shoal around her arms.

"Kim!" She presses her cheek on mine. "I'm so glad you came. Let me introduce you to some of my friends." I don't get the chance to protest because she has already gripped my wrist to pull me towards her so-called friends.

A group of five tall girls are standing in a circle and most of them are wearing cocktail dresses. They turn their attention to us when they notice Jade approaching them. And now I feel like the ugliest person who has ever set foot on this planet once I place my sight on their perfect body figures, their porcelain-like skin and their stunningly beautiful faces.

They're like Greek goddesses that transformed into humans. Compared to my flat chest, petite waist and ghost-like complexion, I'm no match for them. I'm just a plain mundane.

And the fact that I'm still wearing my school uniform while they're in their cocktail dresses doesn't help boost my confidence at all.

"Girls, this is Kim, my brother's..." Jade trails off then winks at me. "fiancé"

What the hell?

Did she really just introduce me as Jeremy's fiancé to her friends? Is she not aware that it's supposed to be a secret since I'm his student?

Four girls glare at me while one girl in a simple pink sundress smiles widely.

"OMG, congratulations!" She takes both of my hands "I'm Chiara by the way. Gosh, I can't believe our little Jay is getting married. Time flies so fast, huh? You're so pretty." She gushes, her smile reaching her eyes. I think I like her now.

Jade is about to say something when the other girl with the shiny silver outfit interrupts.

I recognize her.

"Kim," She says with disdain in her tone.

"Hannah," I reply uneasily. She's the same Hannah who used to date my dad.

She fakes a smile. "You look so plain, how come Jay liked you?" She crosses her arms over her big boobs. "I dated him once and I know his type"

"Okay," I mumble under my breath although I really should've seen that coming.

"I don't want to offend you, but I think he's not the kind of guy who will take you seriously. Just look at you, you're so young and boring. And your breasts are not that full, your waist is too small. Your body doesn't fit a man's needs. I think your innocent blue eyes are the only pretty thing about you" At this moment, I'm really trying to fight the urge to throw a punch at her.

I know I'm not as gorgeous as her but she doesn't have the right to criticize me like that.

"Hannah, enough," Jade demands. Hannah just raises an eyebrow at her as if she were challenging her.

"What? It's the truth. You're Jay's sister; you should know his type of girls and I'm sure he's making a huge mistake for being engaged to this girl," She retorts.

"I said enough Hannah," Jade sternly orders; her voice harsh and livid. She turns to face me and all I could do is swallow the solid bile that is rising in my throat. "I'm sorry Kim."

"It's okay," I say "Could you excuse me for a second?" She hesitates at first but then she just nods. I really want to get away from those girls.

I walk around the pool are to search for Jeremy but he is nowhere to be found. I stand by the buffet table and is about to grab a plate when a hand touches my back.

"Kim, I'm really glad you made it," Mr. Lincoln addresses.

"Good evening Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln." I greet. Mrs. Lincoln pulls me for a soft hug and I willingly embrace her back.

"Oh c'mon, just call me Carol. I don't like being called Mrs. Lincoln, it makes me feel so old." She happily states as she holds me on my shoulders in arm's length.

"I don't mind being called Mr. Lincoln. I feel more respected," Mr. Lincoln half-jokes.

I simply nod. "Uh, have you seen Sir Jere... I mean, Jay around?"

"Yes, he's inside the house. He's in the living room with his childhood friend." Carol answers. I give them one last smile then excuse myself and decide to enter their mansion.