Chapter Four: Terrified

CHAPTER FOUR: TERRIFIED

I gauge myself in the mirror, making sure I'm decent but not desirable.

The last thing I want is for that heir of theirs to have a crush on me. And I'm one of those girls who look like homeless hobo without any hint of BB cream on our faces or lip-gloss on our lips. I'm not pulling myself down, I just know the truth that my natural face isn't attention-worthy.

So less make up, the better chances of him not gaining any interest on me.

A simple strapless gray knitted dress that reaches my knees, paired with black doll shoes. Not a single jewelry is attached on my body. I'm not even wearing any colored lipstick. I merely applied a Chapstick earlier so my lips won't feel dry.

That heir is so going to find me boring.

"Sweets, are you all set?" I hear my dad ask after closing the door behind him.

"Maybe," I state, still looking at my face in the mirror. I snatch the face-powder on my desk and place it inside my purse. I glance at my dad and he's looking at me worriedly. "Is there something wrong, Dad?" I question.

"Nothing. I'm just glad you agreed to meet him," He says; his eyes bothered.

"I guess this is the least I can do for our company." I give him a warm hug and rest my head on his right shoulder. "This is just a meeting, right? I'm not agreeing to be engaged to him yet" I tell him warily and he nods. I can sense his uneasiness.

We both leave my room and head outside to our car.

Ten minutes later, we reach our destination.

The place looks amazing. Colorful lights wrapped around the bushes and trees, flowers planted on each cemented path, leading to the restaurant's entrance, a clear glass door with a waiter clutching on its handle. We enter the restaurant and a stunning brunette young woman welcomes us. We tell them our names, and she cheerfully brings us to a private room.

"Adrian Roberts, we're so delighted you came. It's been so long," A guy with brown hair in a dark suit and tie greets; a blonde-haired woman in beige dress standing beside him. They're both good-looking and elegant.

(Tom Cruise as Daryl Lincoln)

(Jennifer Aniston as Carol Lincoln)

                       I presume these are Mr

            I presume these are Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln. So, where's their son? "Jay would be here any minute." He announces as if answering the question in my head.

"That's great. My daughter and I are both excited to meet your son." Dad glances at me and I force out a smile. A distressed smile.

Excited? Yeah right, more like terrified.

* * * * *

I just finished listening to Taylor Swift's 1989 album on my iPod and Jay still hasn't shown himself. They're still talking about business stuff and old acquaintances that are too boring for my liking so I just continue scrolling through my One Direction playlist when our attention is caught by Mr. Lincoln's buzzing phone.

"Oh, it's Jay. Excuse me for a second." Then he immediately leaves the room.

"I'm really sorry Kim if my son is making you wait." Mrs. Lincoln apologizes as she reaches for my hand.

"It's alright," It's not a complete lie because it's actually fine with me if ever he doesn't show up. "Although I'm curious because when I googled him, nothing showed up"

Mrs. Lincoln smiles at me. "Well, he's really the shy type of guy unlike his sister who is busy in her modeling career. He doesn't want everyone to recognize him as the heir of Lincoln Corporation. The last time he was publicly exposed was when he was still a 3-year old toddler then he never showed to the cameras again. He's even using a different name for the public. He's really humble and down to earth so I'm sure you two will get along in no time." She elucidates, her smile is so warm, like an ember in this freezing room. I really should've brought my jacket.

"Mr. Roberts, my son will be here any minute now." Mr. Lincoln's says once he returns. "He's very sorry for being late."

As far as I know, girls are customarily the ones who are always late in meetings because we spend too much time in adorning ourselves, not like boys who just needs a comb, a hair-gel and a bottle of axe perfume. So, why am I waiting here again? Now I'm wondering if I would be the one who'll be waiting in the altar while he's walking down the aisle. That's just weird and creepy.

"I'll just go to the restroom." I stand up from my seat and make a beeline for the door. I just need to get out of that place and get some fresh air. I'm tired of hearing discussions about business plans and negotiations especially when it involves me.

I am about to touch the knob when the door suddenly opens, revealing the least person I was expecting to see tonight.

"Kyle?"