Chapter Two: You Belong With Me

(Julia Roberts as Adriana Roberts--Kim's mom)

CHAPTER TWO: YOU BELONG WITH ME

My mom was killed in a car crash.

It was a peaceful Sunday morning of December 12, 2004 in Los Angeles, California and I was in my dad's office at home playing with my dolls when the phone's loud ringing echoed in the room. My dad automatically pressed the loudspeaker as he worked on his laptop, thinking it was merely a business call.

At the age of almost five, I still didn't know what the word "passed away" meant but the sadness in the nurse's tone made me stop combing the Barbie's hair. I confusedly glanced at my dad whose voice was croaked when he told the nurse he'll be on his way.

Everything was pretty much a blur after the call. But the image of my dad falling on his knees as he pulled me in a tight embrace, crying in agony is still perfectly encrypted in my mind. My four-year-old self wanted to ask what happened but perhaps my heart knew of it already. We cried together. I told my dad it'll be okay although I wasn't really sure what was happening.

My fifth birthday was the next day, December 13th, and instead of blowing a pink candle on my supposed chocolate cake, I lighted a big white candle for my mom's funeral. Instead of wearing my blue Cinderella-like gown, I chose to wear a black dress since I saw people wearing it too. And instead of guests singing me a jubilant "Happy Birthday" song, we played all my mom's favorite tunes in the audio player.

I cried myself to sleep on my birthday because a sudden realization kicked in that my mommy wouldn't be kissing me goodnight anymore.

We buried her five days later; on my parents' wedding anniversary.

Apparently, she was on her way to her OB/GYNE because approximately two hours before the accident, three pregnancy sticks showed her positive results hence she immediately scheduled for a doctor's appointment. She did arrive at the hospital, sadly for a different reason. Her gynecologist told us that my mom was so excited on the phone, planning to surprise her husband on their wedding anniversary once her 2nd pregnancy was confirmed. Turns out, she indeed was, which broke my dad's heart even more.

The man who was driving the vehicle that killed my mom was the younger brother of the current president of Lincoln Corporation. Although the said driver was immediately put behind bars as the company paid the fine, they used their money to reduce his sentence to 5 years. They must have bribed the judge or something, no one really knows for sure. All I know is that the Lincoln family is a bunch of selfish pricks with no souls. My dad and I couldn't do anything because they're obviously more powerful than us. I wanted to curse the world for its unfairness.

Lincoln Corporation and A.R. Properties were once sister companies. We were family friends since our forefathers, helping each other as we develop lands throughout America. But after the accident and the obvious bribery, my dad broke off the friendship and competed with them instead. For thirteen years we contended for the best land developers in America.