Chapter Twelve: Girl Moment

CHAPTER TWELVE: GIRL MOMENT

             I've known Kyle longer than I've known Ella.

We met in kindergarten and Kyle Wilson was that cute and funny boy with beautiful hazel eyes that every kid wants to play with. Even at the age of five, every girl or boy already wants to hang out with him in the sandbox. He was that charismatic.

Yet I never had the courage to approach him first. I was a blonde girl with freckles on my cheeks and nose. He'd be appalled of my face, I thought in my head.

Except he wasn't because three days in the kindergarten class, he asked me if I can color the dog with him. And in that moment, I told myself that he's going to be my Prince Charming and live happily ever after. Typical five-year-old fantasy. Pathetic, I know.

We weren't exactly best friends but we were still close.

Then in 2nd grade, this shy new student comes in class with a limp leg and distinctive striking eyes. Daniella Summers, she introduced herself as. Her light brown hair flowed down to her waist and I was amazed how silky and soft it looked. Ella Summers was simply lovely.

I was eating with Kyle and a few friends of ours when I noticed her alone in a bench, not even touching the food in front of her. I didn't hesitate to seat beside her and share a meal with the new girl. There was grave sadness in her voice, I could tell just with the way she talked to me despite hiding it with a smile.

She said she was homeschooled all her years because of an accident until her mom allowed her to go to a regular school once she can walk without anyone's help.

I introduced her to my friends and Kyle was the first one to greet her.

One week later, Ella and I became closer and I finally told her of my undying love for Kyle. She giggled at my silliness because who already says love at our age? But I told her I was and that I'm going to marry him someday. She merely nodded and supported my infatuation with him.

Ella knew my feelings for Kyle for years. How can she do this to me?

I can't really start a scene or something since Kyle isn't my boyfriend in the first place. But I still feel disrespected and betrayed. She just broke the Best Friend code.

"Hey, Kim," Kyle greets in embarrassment. I glance up to him and offer a forced smile.

"Hey." I awkwardly wave at him because despite this hellish situation, my body can never deny my attraction to him.

He puts his hand behind his neck. "We thought everyone was in class."

I clear my throat. "I have to use the bathroom."

Now I'm wondering who's going to acknowledge the elephant in the room.

Apparently, Ella does. "Kyle broke up with Hailey yesterday."

I simply nod because that's really all she can say right now especially in front of Kyle. She can't really defend herself to me on why she was just making out with the guy I've always liked.

"Okay, so..." I point my thumb behind me "Can you like, leave? I need to use one of the toilets and it would be awkward if you're both here."

Kyle chuckles. "Oh, of course." Then he grabs Ella's hand and they exit the bathroom. Together. I think my heart just cracked.

Ella even tries to catch my eye but I am having none of it.